Monday, October 27, 2008

Why, Oh Why, Oh Why?

Why, oh why, oh why do we have so much stuff?

That is the question I have been asking myself for the last 3 years every time I went to do laundry in the "back room" of the basement. I open the door and see this:



And this:

And I think to myself, "Where on earth did this all come from????" The answer, of course, is that it is a compilation of my life, Brad's life, my teaching stuff, camping gear, decorations, books, toys, and other random things that never seemed to fit anywhere else in the house.

Brad and I have been talking for YEARS about sorting through it and organizing it, but it has always seemed so overwhelming that we've never done it.

Until now. Gulp.

Yes, we started the project. We knew it would not be a one day project, and we were okay with that...but after working diligently for hours on Saturday we still had barely put a dent in the pile! We have already gotten rid of a ton of stuff (or are planning to donate it) so that is good. Unfortunately, next Saturday is really the next time we have to work on it again.

And now every time I come down to the basement, I think to myself, "What have I gotten myself into????"

There is no turning back now!

Tomorrow I will begin a new blog series entitled, "Random Things Found in Brad and Rachel's Basement." I already have a good one - you will not want to miss this!

5 comments:

Kristy said...

Good for you for doing a job that doesn't look like it is any fun (except when you find the things that you will be sharing with all your bloggy friends). I keep thinking I need to clean the upstairs (and dust,and vaccuum,and clean the bathroom, etc.) Oh well, maybe later!

Angela said...

So when Jared and I made our cross country move, you would not BELIEVE how much stuff we got rid of! All the sudden, stuff that was once important turns into "crap". It's so freeing!!!!!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I am pretending I didn't read this. If I had actually read it then I would be guilted into going through my own pile that looks like a twin to yours.
Nope, didn't read this one.

Tamara said...

He he! Sounds like loads of fun weekends ahead of you! :)

Megan said...

I am definitely staying tuned for your next segment.