I was going to call this post "All About Nathan", but who am I kidding - it's only been a week and there is no way I know all about Nathan yet! But we are slowly getting to know this sweet little boy a little more each day, so I thought I'd tell you what we're discovering about this feisty baby boy :)
Well, first of all...he is feisty! He knows what he wants, when he wants it, and he will let you know what's on his mind! He's pretty strong-willed, very busy, plays hard and sleeps hard. He has one speed, and it's F-A-S-T! There are a few moments after he first wakes up that he'll let you hold him, and then it's go go go. We call him "Little Hurricane" because he dumps toys out faster than we can pick them up!
I know - he looks so innocent, right? :)
Now that he's settling in a bit, we are finding out what he likes to play with. He loves all the toys that have a billion pieces, and he likes them to be all over the floor! He loves the play kitchen and play food, the stackable cups, and the blocks. Knocking over a tower always gets a laugh from him.
We are not sure yet about Nathan's hearing, although it is obvious to us that he does have some hearing. He loves music and starts dancing whenever he hears it. It is my favorite! We are teaching him some signs and yesterday he signed "more" for the first time!!! I was so excited.
He has hated being strapped in to anything but we are making good progress with that. Today he screamed when we put him in the carseat, but then stopped once we started moving. He went for two rides in the stroller and seemed to really enjoy it. And for the first time since he came home, we got him to sit in the booster seat at the table for both lunch and dinner!
His eating is starting to improve and we are figuring out what he likes and dislikes. He loves rice, eggs, seaweed (which makes for one stinky little boy!), chex mix, cheese crackers, strawberries, tofu, and oatmeal. It is so strange feeding a child without food allergies. It is SO much easier!
He is starting to act much more relaxed and I love how excited he is to see each of us in the morning. After his nap today, I brought him out of the bedroom and Matthew exclaimed, "Nathan's awake!" and actually sounded happy about it! We are celebrating every little baby step around here :)
It is feeling like a much longer process for me to start feeling any sort of bond with Nathan, but gradually I see it growing and I keep reminding myself it's only been a week. I found it really hard to like him at first since he was just hitting and smacking me. My heart has softened so much towards him though, and my heart has just broken for him as I've seen him grieve so much. We have now gone two whole days without me being smacked, hit, or head-butted! He is sweet and cuddly and adorable, and I feel my heart melting when he smiles up at me.
I think we're going to be okay.

6 comments:
Oh, Rachel. It warms my heart to hear all about your Nathan! So happy that his little personality is showing itself little by little. What a cutie he is!!
You ARE going to be okay - even better than that, actually. You are becoming a family. It is so awesome to read about Nathan's personality and what he likes and how far you have all come in just one week. And feeding a child without food allergies - that would be a change! Glad there are lots of baby steps!!
Wow. I feel kind of exhausted reading this, but truly loved every word. I'm still Praying alot for your family.
You should be very thankful that you are attempting all this at the beginning of summer instead of being couped up inside all winter with the hurricane! He sounds wonderful and it will be no time before you are soo in love with him!
It sounds like progress is being made. YAY! :) I love that you also mention your bond to Nathan. During the adoption process, I kept thinking of how my son would bond to me, but not the other way around. And it is a process, and for some people (me included) it didn't happen immediately.
I hope Nathan continues to progress as time moves. :)
I love that you described him as a hurricane. (Sounds like someone here I know.) I'm glad you are seeing progress...bit by bit...just as it should be. I'm happy for all of you...as you grow together. If you have any questions about hearing or Audiology stuff...just let me know.
Post a Comment