**Since writing this post, I sat down with the paperwork...and proceeded to put our address in the wrong place. I should have known - the first rule of immigration paperwork is HAVE ANOTHER BLANK COPY in case you mess up the first one! Sigh. I will try again tomorrow. Paperwork: 1, Rachel: 0
Growing up, I was very spoiled - my dad always did any kind of paperwork stuff for me. I really took that for granted, until suddenly...I was an adult and I had to do it myself!
When Brad and I got married, we had 8 or 9 forms to fill out for immigration purposes (what with me being Canadian and all). We soon learned that filling out government forms is...an adventure, shall we say. It is hilarious to try to read through the instructions, figure out which parts pertain to you, what documents you need to send with the form, and where you send it. It is a miracle if they don't come back to you for some kind of correction.
This has actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Brad and I now have to fill out more immigration paperwork, but this time for the adoption. Thankfully because of all our practice in this area, I am not too intimidated.
My goal for tonight is to just get it done. We have to fill out a form called an I-600 which I believe is a petition for us to be able to bring an orphan into the States. The form itself is only 2 pages long, but the instructions are six pages long! Isn't something wrong if you have to take 6 pages to explain how to fill out a two page form???? Just a question :)
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Where is the Paperwork Fairy When You Need Her?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
wow soooo much craziness! We definetly need to talk adoption...soon:)
and that was angela not my dad lol!!!
6 pages to explain how to fill out 2 is definitely wrong! Remember the rule from our college days, each page only gets 5 minutes regardless of whether you read it all or not. Haha, just kidding, this is important reading!
If you think the I-600A was fun, wait until the I-600!!! Nice to "meet" you in cyberland.
Post a Comment