Sunday, March 06, 2011

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

(This picture really doesn't go with my post today, I just love it! This was taken when Brad finally finished up his 90 hour work week a couple of weeks ago...boy was Matthew glad to have his Daddy back!)


It seems like the older I get, the more I realize that a lot of things in life are two steps forward, one step back...and that is okay. Take Matthew's sleeping for example. We will be doing really great, finally sleeping through the night consistently, and then BAM, he gets sick and we are up several times a night. We take a step forward - down to once a night - then BAM again, teething. Back up all the time. I have learned to not be too upset when my sleep is disrupted again because it's just the way it is, and I know that the time will come again when he sleeps through. Eventually.

At the moment we are making real headway in leaving Matthew in the care of other people. For a while this was pretty hard, but this morning my heart soared when we walked into the church nursery, Matthew squirmed out of my arms and raced off to play without a single tear! He waved his hand to me without even looking at me when I said good-bye, and with that I was out of there! Let me tell you, there were many days when I thought we would never get here, but sure enough, two steps forward, one step back, we made it!

I'm facing a major step back in the running department right now :( I ended up taking almost 3 weeks off because of my foot injury, Brad's work schedule, strep throat and the flu. At first I was frustrated, but pretty soon I felt so sick I didn't care that I couldn't run! Last Thursday I finally ran about 1.75 miles, and then Saturday I barely managed 2 miles before having to stop. I am frustrated and discouraged, but it is a new week and 3 miles is on the schedule for tomorrow. I am supposedly in week 4 of 1/2 marathon training but truthfully I don't know if I can do it. I am going to give it my best this week and see how it goes. Hopefully this will be a "two step forward" kind of week!!

5 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said...

I know it's so discouraging to not be able to run, but truly, take care of that injury or worse things can happen.
But YAY for a happy church nursery experience!

Unknown said...

Do your best and forget the rest Rachel!! You are doing an amazing job and life happens to everybody... even marathon runners. Take it one day at a time and keep your eyes on the goal! Love you!

Christy said...

Hugs and prayers! I know it can be tough when you get stopped in your tracks - literally - but keep trying. Even if you come close, that's closer than you'd be if you didn't keep working at it - and still an amazing accomplishment!!! You're doing great!

I've been meaning to ask you - did you post that you had a stress headache that didn't go away during your adoption process? B/c I've had one for the past couple of weeks and wondering if it's adoption related or something else. ;) I was thinking it was your blog I read that on, but I can't remember for sure, or find where I saw it. Just wondering if so, if you have any suggestions.

Rachelle said...

WOO HOO for a happy church experience! I know how good that feels.. Church has been our boys biggest struggle... and that's not a great thing when church is daddy's job.

BrandiB said...

Praying your foot will be alright. Don't be so hard on yourself lady and take this time as time needed!