Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sometimes Wet Pajamas Are a Good Thing

Unfortunately, our poor little boy is having a mighty itchy time again lately. We have seen the dermatologist several times, and the treatments seem to work for a couple of weeks, and then as soon as we stop his eczema flares up again. We have been using a fabulous steroid cream that works wonders, but apparently you can only use it for short periods of time because it can be bad if you use it continuously. He's on an antihistamine as well and the dose just keeps going up because the itchiness continues. It makes it very hard for him to get to sleep, and stay asleep, which is a bummer for everyone! We feel so bad seeing him uncomfortable.

Yesterday I spoke with our dermatologist again and he recommended something that sounded kind of strange. Last night we tried something called a "wet wrap" - basically, after putting his lotion on, we soaked a pair of cotton pajamas in warm water, wrung them out, and put them on him! Then we put a dry warm pair over top. And we left him like that all night long!

(Here he is in the wet pair...probably thinking, "Um, this is a bit crazy!")


(And here he is with a dry pair over top...possibly wondering if his parents were seriously losing it!)


I mean, really, can you imagine going to bed in soaking wet pajamas? I can't! But the amazing thing - it seemed to work! He laid in his crib and was asleep within 5 minutes! He did wake up once at 11pm, and we put a new pair of wet pjs on him with warmer outer pjs, and he went right back to sleep until 9:15am this morning. When I took his pajamas off, his skin had almost completely cleared up!!!! He was much less itchy today and I am so so thankful. We are going to try this for a few days to see if it will make a difference for him. If not, we may be on to some new meds. For his sake, I hope this works!

12 comments:

Jenny said...

that DOES sound crazy but if it works, hey! it works! and it's better than more meds, right?! i hope you keep having success with it!

Rachelle said...

Who knew??? Whatever works! A happy baby = a happy family.

Ellie said...

what a crazy idea and a cheap solution :) !! i soooo hope he stays itch-free!

Yvonne said...

I have a former co-worker whose son had similar skin issues and this was the thing that seemed to really help. So hopefully it continues and helps him stay off of meds or at least on a lower level. Here's to hoping!

Barry/ Amy said...

Fingers crossed that this is the treatment that gives relief to everyone :)

Britt said...

wow! That's crazy cool!!

My husband is always itchy, but he likes to be scratched sooo.... maybe I can secretly put wet PJ's on him so I don't have to scratch him all the time!

Elizabeth Frick said...

wow, what a great solution! hope it continues to work. but in the summer, isn't it HOT having two pjs on?

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Wow - that is such a unique solution! I was so happy for you guys when I read that it WORKED!! Oh man am I hoping that it is a more permanent solution!

Leah said...

Hey, whatever works, right? I really hope he starts to feel better permanently. I'm sure it's no fun at all having your little man uncomfortable. :(

Rach@In His Hands said...

What a concept! So glad it worked the first night...and hoping that he's itching less and less!

Stacy said...

Wish I would have know that when my kids were little with the eczema! Where did you order Matthew's Medical Alert bracelet from? We need to order Jackson one.

Rachel said...

Stacy - I think we just googled "Medic Alert Bracelet" and I think the name of the company is actually medic alert. You can get other ones though, but we liked this one the best for him for now. Hope that helps!