Sunday, August 22, 2010

Oh Canada, How I Have Missed You!

At long last...we left the country!  This weekend we headed to my parent's house for the very first time since Matthew came home.  It was a wonderful weekend but unfortunately I am too tired to upload photos tonight so you will have to settle for a "weekend in review" blog post tonight :)

I was so worried about crossing the border with Matthew and making sure we had what we needed to get into Canada that OOPS I forgot something kind of important...the document issued to me by the US to let me back into the States.  You know, kind of important if I wanted to come home ever.  Of course I realized this after we passed the sign saying something we could not turn back now and had to proceed to Canada.  Major oops.  

Brad, being the seriously wonderful man that he is, did not freak out or get mad, but simply said that he would drive back and get it, and then come back to Canada again.  It's a 2 1/2 hour drive each way.  So he drove us there Friday night, and Saturday morning he got up and drove back across the border, where thankfully his mom and brother were so kind as to meet him with my card.  Crisis averted.

Most of the weekend was spent just hanging out in the living room together.  I must admit it was fabulous to get a bit of a break since everyone was so excited to have Matthew there!  They all entertained him from the moment he woke up until he went to sleep...

Except last night he wouldn't go to sleep.  Well, that's not entirely true.  He went to bed around 7:30pm, but woke up at 1am itching and miserable.  On went the wet pajamas, but nothing seemed to soothe the itching around his neck, head and hands.  Last night was a very long night in which Brad and I both only got about 4 hours of sleep, and not at the same time.  I am more grateful than ever to have a husband who is so kind and helps so much with Matthew.  

The pajama thing had been helping quite a lot, but he is still having a rough time.  It's so annoying that we can't figure it out!  It seems to be so much worse at night.  We're going to a new allergist soon and probably back to the dermatologist this week...we NEED to be able to sleep again!

Even with the rough night, we had a marvelous time with my family and I am so thankful we were able to go!  Matthew was totally at ease there (probably since he already knows my family pretty well) and it was so nice and relaxing to be "home".

3 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said...

Glad you got the visit, but sorry for the itchy night! :(

Britt said...

I went to Canada this weekend too and it was wonderful!! I'm sooo glad Matthew got his first taste of Canada!!

Jenny said...

how great to get to visit! hoping they can figure something out with the itching soon :(