Tuesday, February 09, 2010

When I Said I Wanted To Get Out of the House...This is NOT What I Meant!

What a crazy few days we have had! After finding out on Sunday that Matthew had pneumonia, he continued to get worse despite being on tons of medications that were supposed to help. On Monday we found out he has RSV, a virus that children can get that is made much worse by asthma (which Matthew has). He sounded terrible yesterday morning, and after a quick trip to our pediatrician, we were sent to the ER. It was quite a scary thing to hear how much he was struggling to breathe. At the ER he was given a breathing treatment and an IV (poor baby) and admitted for the night.


There had been talk of transferring him to a larger hospital about an hour away but he started to improve and so was able to stay here in town. We were so thankful to see him start to get better and perk up a little. He had been so lethargic and spacey, and we loved seeing the smile return to his face (even if it was just a little).

The rest of the day yesterday was spent doing breathing treatments


Taking naps (him, not us unfortunately!)


And reading books

We were so thankful to have friends and family who visited us and helped us get what we needed so that Brad and I could both stay with Matthew.

Nighttime was...rough. Matthew continued to breathe more easily, which was wonderful. The nurses were so kind and caring, but unfortunately (and fortunately I guess) they had to keep coming in to check on him and give him meds and breathing treatments. Matthew started out the evening in the crib...


..but after waking up and freaking out a little he spent the rest of the night sleeping on mommy and daddy in the extra bed in the room. We were so, so thankful that we had a room to ourselves. We couldn't imagine how hard it would have been if we'd had to try to get him to sleep with another family and sick child there.


Whoever wasn't holding Matthew at the time got to sleep on this very fancy and oh so uncomfortable fold out bed :) It turns out though at 4am you really will sleep anywhere!

This morning our pediatrician came to check on Matthew and found that he was doing so much better. We were seriously excited to hear that he was being discharged!

We are so glad the last couple of days are over at last. It was scary to see our little one in so much pain and discomfort. He is now on the mend and hopefully will be back to 100% in the next couple of weeks. We are praising the Lord for His help and comfort, and for answering the prayers of many people for this special little boy. We are so glad he is feeling better!

15 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said...

Oh my goodness, how unbelievably scary!!! I'm so glad you're home and that the little guy is doing better. I'm sure these past few days have been incredibly rough on everyone. Keep improving, Matthew!

Kala said...

Oh my, what a rough time.Poor Matthew. I'm so glad your little man is feeling better. Hopefully, you can catch up on some sleep too!

everythingismeowsome said...

Praise God that he is improving! I am so sorry that things went from bad to worse so fast. He is already looking better than his pics from last week though! Praying for more rapid improvement!

Rachel said...

So glad he is better! Hope you get good sleep tonight!

Britt said...

Wow - that has to be soo hard to see your child so sick!! The hospitals are scary and intimidating!!!

Karen said...

Oh my, what a rough couple of days! I can only imagine how terrifying it was to see him struggle to breathe! I am so glad to hear he is getting better, and I hope he is back to his happy, healthy self soon!!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I have been praying for you guys ever since I heard about it from Rachel. :( I am so sorry you guys had to go through all of this. I really get how rough it is.
And yes, It doesn't really matter what your sleeping arrangements are at 4 am does it? :)

Rachelle said...

Wow! Not fun! So glad your little man is feeling better and you were all able to go home. Hope you are all doing much better and getting some rest. Prayers.

Leah said...

Poor little guy. I hope he's feeling much better. His rash seems to be better, so hopefully that's a good sign. there is just nothing sadder than seeing a child in a hospital gown. :-(

Jenny said...

on no! poor guy! i'm so glad he's getting better... what a scare!

Tamara said...

That is SO nice you got a room with a bed! Keisa didn't and she was there for days and days!
I am so glad he is home!

Megan said...

Oh my word Rachel! I am so sorry he (and you guys) had to go through all that! What a relief that he is better! We will be praying he gets back to himself again very quickly!

BrandiB said...

So glad he is feeling better and I hope and pray for some rest for you guys too!

Janet said...

Oh no...what a very scary couple of days there. Poor Matthew. Poor Mommy & Daddy. I'm so glad he is home now...where he will feel better & better. You all deserve some rest and recovery. Hugs from afar!

kelly said...

Oh my goodness, how scary! Thank goodness he was discharged. I can only imagine your fear as a mama. Here's to a quick recovery!!