Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Busy Day

We had a busy and very productive day around here! This morning was Matthew's appointment with the allergist...let me say that this little boy did very well considering the appointment took 1 1/2 hours and happened EXACTLY when he would normally be taking his morning nap! He really was an angel.

The doctor was very nice and we were able to get some more info about Matthew's allergies. He was not worried about the dog allergy (Daisie is breathing a sigh of relief tonight!), and he did the allergy skin test to see what kind of reaction Matthew had to the different foods. It didn't hurt at all, and basically they just put a bunch of different liquids on Matthew's back to see which would bump up (indicating a reaction). After a few minutes, it became clear that he does have a severe egg allergy and also a severe peanut allergy.

The good news of the day, however, is that he does NOT have a milk and soy allergy!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!! Apparently an allergy can show up on a blood test, but that does not necessarily mean you will have a reaction to the food when you eat it. The soy one showed up on the blood test because it is a similar protein to peanut. Matthew is still going to be off milk until the summer, because he has struggled with eczema, but then we can try introducing it slowly. I am so very happy about this!

The egg and the peanut allergies (actually he is allergic to all tree nuts) were what we expected so it wasn't really bad news. It is scary to realize that these things could make him very sick, and I feel sad that we were making him so sick by feeding him egg for the last couple of months (of course we didn't know, but I still feel bad). Thankfully now we can get him feeling better!

After the appointment, we came home and the three of us (Matthew, Daisie and I) had some lunch followed by a glorious two-hour nap. When Brad got home, we headed out to the store and got Matthew a much needed haircut. He did really well again (this was his second haircut) and it was so neat to see how much he has changed since the last haircut in November. Last time he sat so still, didn't make a sound, didn't move...tonight he was smiling and looking around...it is so good to see how much more secure he seems these days.

We came home, had dinner, played a rousing game of "peek-a-boo", enjoyed some crazy giggling, and then Matthew went to bed without a peep :)




Now I am off to watch American Idol and clean the bedroom. It was a good day!

4 comments:

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

SO glad for you Rachel. Rachel and I were talking about you last night {All very good things I assure you!!} :) and how great it is that Matthew is doing so much better.

Rachelle said...

So glad you have found out exactly what you are dealing with. That's good news!

Leah said...

So glad you received some answers at the doctor. And try not to feel bad. . . you had no idea about the allergies, and now that you know, I'm sure Matthew will be feeling so much better. :-D It looks like he already is! :-D

Unknown said...

Oh Goodness.... I'm seeing all my friends children on blogs today and I want to nibble on all of them... is there something wrong with me? No wait, don't answer!! Love you Rachel.... I miss you!!