Thursday, February 11, 2010

New Challenges


We are so very thankful that our smiley little boy is back! Matthew has improved so much these last couple of days and has returned to his happy self :) He is back to playing, walking, and getting into things he shouldn't....and we are so glad to see this!


Yesterday was an interesting day as we found out some pretty big news that has the potential of changing our life in a very big way. The pharmacy called and said that Matthew's prescription wouldn't be ready until today. We have been practically living at the doctor's office and pharmacy this last week, so I wondered if there was a prescription I had forgotten about. When I asked about it, the lady said it was for an EpiPen Jr. I didn't know anything about this so I told her she probably had the wrong Matthew...but after checking the DOB and our address, she confirmed it was for him. Strange...

And then it hit me. Matthew had a blood test done last week to check for allergies when he had that crazy rash.

Oh boy.

I called the doctor and found out that he does indeed have several allergies. Apparently he is highly allergic to egg whites and peanuts, and less allergic to milk, soy, and dogs.

Wow, that was a lot to take in.

Yesterday I felt pretty overwhelmed by this news. I mean, what am I supposed to feed him?? I started looking at labels, which sent me to tears as I realized what a drastic change this will be for us. The fears rolled over me as I realized that there will be times when what he is fed will be out of my control...what if something happens to him? It was a day of processing and letting it sink in.

Matthew was up several times in the night (because on top of everything else, this poor boy is getting another tooth!) and every time I woke up, my first thought was, "My son has a bad peanut allergy". I don't know why, I guess it was on my mind a lot!

Today I am taking a deep breath, turning my fears over to the Lord, and starting the process of educating myself about what this means for our family. I am thankful to know about it, and hopefully now we can keep Matthew's asthma more under control as well. We see an allergy specialist next week and I am looking forward to getting more info.

So that's where we're at right now...a new adventure lies ahead!

13 comments:

Leah said...

I'm so glad your little man is feeling better, but sad to hear about his allergies. I'm sure you guys will work through all of this and learn so much from it, but you're right. It's a bit overwhelming. I mean, I wouldn't have a clue what to even look for on a label. Thinking of you guys.

everythingismeowsome said...

My goodness, that is a lot to take in, especially after the last few weeks you've had. My best suggestion would be to find an online support group (maybe in Yahoo groups) about these allergies. Aside from support, they can probably help you with food ideas, recipes, etc. I have found the Korean adoption groups and the group specific to OUR Matthew's special need to be invaluable. Good luck!

Jenny said...

poor dude. that stinks about the allergies... i've always said i don't know what i'll do if our little one has a peanut allergy... i LOOOOOVE peanut butter! we'd make it work though :-) i'm sure it's overwhelming. you'll get it down though and then you won't even have to think about it. all in good time. glad he's doing better!

Elizabeth Frick said...

Yikes! Poor guy! I know it seems scary, but over time, you'll find ways to keep him safe. One day at a time :)

Janet said...

Man, you've been thrown a LOT in the past few days. I can imagine your head must be spinning. I'd be thinking/worrying non-stop too. But...it sounds like you're learning a lot...and knowledge is power. You'll find more and more things he can eat. Easier today than when we were kids. If you need suggestions for the milk/egg allergy, I might have a good connection for you. A friend/family member of ours has a little girl who has the same thing...she has come up with some amazing finds for her little girl...to eat & be safe. Email me if you want some suggestions: myseoulsearching@gmail.com.

Angela said...

wow-that is a lot to take in. i'll be praying for you guys. I know a lot of people who have faced this and are making it through the changes.

Barry/ Amy said...

Thinking of you and knowing how much you both love Matthew....you will make it through this new adventure-- TOGETHER! :) Good luck to you guys! :)

Unknown said...

Hey Sweetie, Rachel told me about the allergies yesterday. Talk to Nathan and Tracy. I know that Rachel has a bad peanut allergy and they have done really well with her. Keep in mind also that foods that have not been processed are less likely to contain the things he's allergic to. So that really gives you a wide variety of food.... You will just have to experiment! Maybe, just maybe he'll like PICKLES!! Love you guys!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Aww Rachel. :( I am so sorry for this added stress in your life. I'm praying for you all.

kelly said...

Overwhelming for sure, but as several people have already mentioned I'm sure there are lots of people who can help who have been there. And thank GOD for the internet, right? Good luck, I'm sure it's a lot to process right now, I'm just glad you guys found out early so you know what to be careful with.

Rachelle said...

Poor little man, and poor you! Prayers as you figure out what this means for Matthew.

Rach@In His Hands said...

Hugs, Rachel! Sad news, but how comforting that you now know about the allergies. Thinking of you...and SO happy that sweet M is better!

Tina said...

wow, Im so sorry for all of this, what a long hall this has been. But it seems you are on the up side and Im so thank ful you found out about the allergies now. I still don't get why you found out the way you did. Odd that the dr did not call you guys. IM sure you are overwhelmed my friend. I m praying for you all !!