Tuesday, August 04, 2009

When the Man on a Bike is Actually a Knight on a White Horse

Last night when I set out for my 50 minute run, I was not feeling too optimistic. I was tired, grouchy, and didn't want to go. It was after 8pm already and I didn't know if I'd make it back before dark, which made me nervous (I hope my mom isn't reading this!). But I set out anyway, just around the neighborhood, and trudged along to my music trying to convince myself not to stop.


About 40 minutes in to the run, I was really ready to quit. I was heading up a hill, hot, and even more tired. Then suddenly, he appeared beside me on his bike! My dear husband came looking for me, riding all around our neighborhood until he found me. He encouraged me and helped me make it through the last 10 minutes.

You know, so often I buy into the lie that love is all about flowers and candy and romantic dinners. Not that any of those things are bad, but sometimes I get caught up in thinking that only the "romantic" gestures count in showing me how much Brad loves me. Tonight I was reminded by this caring act, something that might seem like nothing to some people but meant the world to me, what love really looks like. It looks like a tired husband coming out to make sure I was safe and to encourage me in doing something I really want to do.

And I tell you what, I felt more loved than if he had bought me 10 dozen roses :)

6 comments:

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

That is a really sweet story! To have a husband who encourages you and makes sure that you're safe - that's love - you're right! Thanks for sharing!

Angela said...

ok I have tears in my eyes---I love this story that shows so much about your love for eachother-what a wonderful man you have in your life!!! And WAY TO GO with your running girl!! I'm so proud of you!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

That is so wonderful! I love it.

Barry/ Amy said...

What a great LOVE story-- thanks for sharing!

Megan said...

So sweet!

Britt said...

AWWWW!! So cute! My husband had lunch ready for me yesterday and rubbed my feet while I ate it for my 20 min lunch! Oh the cute things they do for us!