Sunday, August 23, 2009

I Made It!


Around 4pm yesterday I finally dragged my behind off the couch and headed out for my run. I am so glad that I did! It was an amazing run, possibly the best ever, and I made it through all 8 miles! That once seemed so impossible, but now I have completed it.

As I started out, I thought for sure I was in for a rough time. About 3 minutes into the run the battery on my mp3 player died. Oh dear. I knew that meant I had over 1 1/2 hours by myself to think. What was I going to think about for that long?

Well, I'll spare you the play by play of all that went through my head, but I will say that I did a lot of praying and a lot of reflecting on all that the Lord has done in my life. The blessings He has given are so abundant that sometimes I just feel overwhelmed by His goodness. His faithfulness and constant care for me, His forgiveness and patience with me...I so often take these things for granted. It was good to just have that time to think. I'm so glad my battery died :)

I'm having a hard time with my knees and had a lot of pain towards the end of my run, which is a bit worrying. I haven't ever done this before (obviously!) so I'm not sure if I should just "run through it" or what. I'm icing them and stretching but feeling a lot of ouch today still. Any and all suggestions are welcome!!!

7 comments:

Marathonman101108 said...

Hi...I read your post at Tina's blog, and thought I'd comment. Speaking from experience, DON'T run through your pain. I'm also wondering if you have good/new running shoes?? Have you tried ice? Best thing to do would go back and see the doctor. If he doesn't know what's wrong, or isn't very helpful, find another doctor. Again, I'm speaking from experience with past injuries I have had. Good luck, and REST that injury.

Angela said...

hey girl:) RICE rest, ice, compress, elevate...knee pain is not something to run through--trust me. Give yourself a few days off and I would suggest taking Glucosamine for the next few days but no longer then a week. When I have knee pain I take glucosamine for a few days and it's magically healed. It could also be your IT band---the tendon between your hip and knee---try massaging the side of it:)

Jenny said...

congrats!!!! i can't run 1!

Leah said...

That's quite the run! Congrats! I'm always amazed at how much reflection is possible when it's just us alone with our thoughts. No music, TV, etc. It sounds like you did some wonderful reflecting yourself. :-D

Britt said...

Isn't it wonderful sometimes when technology fails us or when our plans don't go quite as planned... its like God is taking over and saying "I want you this time".

Angela said...

and take 2 ib profen and call me in the morning:) ok you don't have to call me but go ahead and take the medicine!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

That reminds me - my mp3 player wouldn't work this morning for me either so I had to do my long run without it! First thought: I can't! Second thought: of course I can and if I can't, now is a good time to learn. It worked out fine for me, too.

How are your knees? Are you resting until the pain is gone? Hope you're better soon if you aren't already.