Monday, February 02, 2009

He's Just So Good

Yesterday I was reading in Exodus about how God led the people of Israel out of Egypt and how He parted the Red Sea for them. They saw Him do such amazing things, and praised Him because of it. But soon after, as they began to travel through the wilderness, their praises quickly turned to discontentment and grumbling. Instead of turning to the Lord, they questioned Him for bringing them to this place where they had no water.

Well of course as I read this yesterday I thought to myself how fickle and faithless these people were. They had just seen the power of Almighty God - how could they so quickly turn on Him and lose faith in Him? Hadn't they seen how He had protected them and taken care of them?

I would never be like that! No way, not me!

And then comes today. I got home this afternoon and discovered that we had received a letter in the mail. We did not get an adoption grant that we were hoping and praying we would get. I was disappointed and even a bit angry. This was NOT the answer I wanted.

But as I cried about it and stomped around (yes, I know, very mature!) I heard the Lord quietly whisper to my heart. He reminded me of this story that I had just read. And He asked me if I was going to trust Him even when things don't go my way. He reminded me of the countless times He has been faithful and has provided - especially when it comes to the area of paying for this adoption. When we began, we did not know how we would do it. But He has been faithful every step of the way. And as I remembered these things and turned my eyes away from the discouraging situation and onto Jesus, the peace came and the tears stopped.

He is so good.

So if you need some encouragement today, check out Exodus 14-16. You will find a God who cares for His people, and who deals so patiently with them. I am so thankful for that!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Oh Rach, I am so sorry that you guys didn't get that. But if there is one thing I have been learning is that God always provides. I like to say that our checking account works on "God math" because it is only through His provision that all the bills get paid. It is so awesome that we have the Bible to remind us that even though we haven't been wandering through the wilderness for years we have our struggles and He has parted many a Red Sea for us. I love that you stomped around because I am sure I would have done that same thing!

Jayme said...

I TOTALLY understand. I am a very controlling, unpatient person and God is working on me everyday. We were going to do this mega-huge fundraiser, I actually had the flyers made up and was ready to call the newspaper, and then I found out that you have to be a non-profit organization and have a permit. Total bummer. God also whispered to me and asked me, yet again, to trust in Him. I admit, it's easier to try to control than it is to trust. But I am a work in progress and He is faithful every time. I LOVED your post and am looking forward to following your journey.