Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Made to Worship

I never dreamed when I picked up a guitar ten years ago that it would one day feel like a part of me! I have so happy to be playing a lot again lately. Playing on the praise team at church and helping to lead the youth praise team has been such a blessing to me these last few months. I love to play, but more than that, I love to worship the Lord. I have been learning a lot lately about worship as I have been thinking through why and how we worship. The Lord has changed me in so many ways over the last few years, and one of the things He has shown me is that worship is not about me. I used to get nervous, I used to think that people were looking at me or that I would mess it all up. I used to worry if it was not perfect and stress if things did not go how we practiced. I was quick to be critical of other people's efforts - thinking we were playing it too fast or too slow or too loud or too soft or just not the way I wanted! But through His Word I have been gently (and not so gently) reminded that worship is about HIM alone. It is about singing to Him and singing about Him. I am learning to let go of my perfectionistic (and self-focused) ways and to worship with my heart. He is so worthy of my praise!

"I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever." Psalm 86:12

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I miss hearing you play. We should just get together for a jam session some time. :)

Love you,

Rachel

Rachel said...

Hey, Just found this adoptive mom blog...

http://deliveredfromheaven.blogspot.com/

Just thought you might want to check her out! Her story of the day is so funny and remindes me of Hope.

Angela said...

remember when we would sit together and play! How I miss the days!!!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Awesome Rachel! I would love to hear you play some time!