One of my biggest struggles in life is letting go of expectations. There have been so many *big* things in my life that have not gone how I expected. Those were painful and challenging experiences for sure. But I have found over the years that I even struggle with small things, changes in plans, things not going how I thought they would, circumstances being out of my control and letting go when things don't work out no matter how hard I try.
This is for sure an area that God has been working on in me. I find it so easy to get caught up in me, myself and I, thinking about all the things I want to happen, how much I am looking forward to something, that often when it doesn't work out how I wanted I get bent out of shape in a big way. So bent out of shape, in fact, that I can't enjoy whatever else I am doing because I'm just thinking about how I'm missing out on what I expected to happen.
It's not really a fun way to live, to tell you the truth.
Thankfully I am learning this lesson and starting to see that just because things don't go how I want them to does not mean that I have to be grumpy. I know - *gasp*! It seems so obvious that I can choose how I respond to things, but for so long I have felt like I had no control over it.
This week has been one of those weeks. You know, the kind where nothing goes as planned. Foot pain, a visit to the doctor, x-rays to check for a stress fracture...no running. Not what I had planned. I could be grouchy about it, feel bad every time I see someone else enjoying a run in this perfect 50 degree weather we've been having, and make those around me miserable because I can't run...but why? It's not like that gets me out there any faster. This is seriously a revelation to me! So, even though there's been no running, it has been a good week. Well, relatively.
We had great plans for the weekend. Dear friends coming with their new baby, a fun party tomorrow, lots of laughs...and instead we spent the day cleaning throw-up off the floor, comforting a sick little baby, and missing our friends who we told not to come. Sigh. It could be a mopey kind of weekend for sure, but instead we are making the best of it, planning a little party here tomorrow to watch the Daytona 500 (just me, Brad, and a bunch of candy!), and laughing over the number of times Brad has been puked on today :)
I must admit that I hope next week gets better, but truthfully if it doesn't, it's okay. If I have a stress fracture, I will not be running for weeks, or probably months. Ouch. That makes me sad. But there are so many reasons to rejoice, and I choose to not dwell on what I am missing or the fact that things have not gone how I expected.
And now back to my other fun event today...planning our Korea trip! My heart is aching today for our little guy, but I know that time is passing and one day we will get that call saying we can go and get him. So for today, I will be content to make lists, do some online research, and dream of holding in my arms. What a day that will be!

3 comments:
SUCH a hard lesson. But adoption is definitely good at teaching you, isn't it? :(
Adam and I learned to hope big, but expect small. Life rarely lives up to our expectations, and there's just too much disappointment involved if you expect the hype.
I'm SO BUMMED for you about your foot - I know how upset I would be if I couldn't run! But take good care of yourself so you don't do any permanent damage. ((hugs))
this is something I really have to work on. Good for you for rolling with things--even if it is really hard!
it's VERY hard for me when things don't go how i expect... and i'm sure as i become a mother i need to learn even more flexibility in planning... yikes! and your foot... BOO. hope it heals quickly!
Post a Comment