What a difference a year makes. Exactly a year ago, we had a very sick and miserable little boy on our hands. He had been sick for most of the winter, threw up often, had diarrhea for the whole month of December, and we were at the doctors office at least once a week.
At the beginning of February, he got really sick and a strange rash broke out on his arms, legs, and finally all over his face. It's hard to even look at these pictures - they actually made me cry today because I realize now how awful he must have been feeling. But I like to look back and see how far he has come and how healthy he is now - that gets me smiling for sure!



After being at the doctor's office twice, the urgent care center on the weekend, and finally back to the doctors on Monday, they sent us to the ER. Matthew was breathing so fast - over 60 times a minute, he had RSV, pneumonia, and this awful rash persisted. He was admitted over night and the combination of breathing treatments and IV steroids got him feeling a lot better very quickly.



After being at the doctor's office twice, the urgent care center on the weekend, and finally back to the doctors on Monday, they sent us to the ER. Matthew was breathing so fast - over 60 times a minute, he had RSV, pneumonia, and this awful rash persisted. He was admitted over night and the combination of breathing treatments and IV steroids got him feeling a lot better very quickly. But it was the news we got the day after he got out of the hospital that really helped us get him feeling better. The pediatrician had done blood work to check for food allergies, and sure enough we found out he had tested positive for several foods including eggs, peanuts, tree nuts and soy. Thank goodness the soy one turned out to be a false positive :) Those early days of just finding out about his food allergies were so very overwhelming, but now it is just a part of life and although I think about it all the time I don't worry about it all the time anymore. Carrying an Epi-pen everywhere we go, reading every single food label multiple times, and learning to cook without egg or milk somehow became our new normal.
Looking back it is so painfully obvious to me that he is allergic to eggs. I suspected but I didn't know much about food allergies and so I didn't realize that food could be making him so sick. I hate that we fed him things that made him feel so bad, even though I know I just didn't know.
After several more months of battling with eczema, we figured out he also has a milk allergy. Once we got that sorted, though, and made sure he didn't get any milk or eggs in any of his foods, he has been like a new child! It has been amazing to watch the transformation and to realize how much better he feels now. He is so much happier! Plus, the puffiness he always had around his eyes (even in his referral picture from five months old) is finally gone!!! I may be biased but I think he looks pretty amazing :)


14 comments:
He does look amazing, and like such a big boy!!!!
Wow, RAchel! What an incredible difference! You guys should be so proud of your hard work to get him to a healthy place :)
He ABSOLUTELY does look amazing and what amazing parents to not give up and keep chugging away to get him healthy!!! :)
he does look amazing!! such smooth perfect skin! & he looks like he feels so much better. wow!
Oh, Rachel. I forgot how bad it was a year ago! Poor little guy. Praise God that sweet Matthew's allergies are known and under control now!
Oh do I understand! When Caroline turned a year old we discovered milk, soy, peanut, egg and bean allergies. My 12 month old could not crawl, walk or anything and had terrible eczema. As soon as we removed these things from her diet she became a brand new child!! She is now 6 and still has her milk allergy but has grown out of the others. Still holding out hope she will grow out of the milk one!
He looks terrific! So happy he's healthy!
wow - big change! I am beginning to understand some of this as I'm working through some food stuff. It's a journey to figuring out what is going on, but so glad you have and that he is a much happier and healthier boy!
I found your blog tonight and I wanted to let you know that my son, who is 3 1/2 has food allergies too! (milk, egg, and peanut) He looked just like your little guy w/ the rash and terrible eczema, until we eliminated the foods he was allergic to. His skin is beautiful now and we are definitely adjusted to reading labels and carrying around our medicine.
If I can be of any help (recipes, etc), just email me or comment back on my blog:)
Your little guy is SOOO cute! :)
Brittany
So glad this is under control for him now... and for you! His skin looks perfect now, and his smile says it all! Praise God!
Oh my gosh! What a difference a year makes! I remember your posts from a year ago, and crying seeing Matthew in a hospital gown. I also remember how overhwhelmed all the news was. But look at your boy now! He looks so happy and healthy. :)
Such a happy, healthy, handsome little boy! God is so good.
He is such a cutie!
He definitely does look AMAZING! So cute, happy, and healthy. Kudos to you for adapting to your new normal. I can only imagine how difficult it was. You are one rockin' Mama!
Post a Comment