Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Couple of Sickies

It was bound to happen...sickness has finally arrived at our house. Matthew came down with a cold last Friday, followed by lots of yucky stuff on the weekend, and yesterday I finally took him to the doctor because he just wasn't getting any better. I'm so thankful that I did - he has strep throat. And so do I. It has been a long week, that's for sure.


Making this week much more difficult is the fact that Brad has been working from 7am until 11pm or midnight every day this week because of an ice storm that knocked out tons of power in the area he oversees. I have seen him for a few minutes each night, talked to him for maybe 5 minutes and day, and he has not seen Matthew since Sunday. Today Montel Williams came on the t.v. and Matthew pointed to him and said, "Dada!". Um, no honey, not so much. Then he cracked a smile and said, "Noooooo!" Oh good, he was just teasing. Still, I think he needs some time with his daddy!

In the midst of a really crummy week there have been some lovely blessings:

Family who cares so much about us and has helped us while Brad is at work.

A trip to the store and the doctors office yesterday - the most I've been out of the house in almost a week!

A friend who stopped by to keep me from losing it last night :)

A friend who brought me homemade bread, treats, and a balloon for Matthew.

A friend who brought me tea bags...because if I run out of tea, I won't survive this!

Friends who call and chat and keep me sane.

My sisters who care so much and love on us all the time.

My mom who is always checking in on me :)

I keep remembering that there are way worse things that could be happening, and that this won't go on much longer. It has given me a whole new perspective on single parents and how hard that must be. I am exhausted. I miss my husband, his friendship, laughing with him...and handing Matthew over to him for a while :) This has been a good reminder of how many really good things I take for granted. Hopefully we will be feeling better soon and enjoying some quality family time together!

7 comments:

Phil & Karen said...

I am so sorry to hear that you are ill and doing it all on your own this week! ((Hugs)) Hang in there and I hope you are both feeling much better soon! Oh and you have the cutest "super baby" ever!

Barry/ Amy said...

Hope you are all feeling better soon and that you guys both get some daddy time this weekend!! :)

Rach@In His Hands said...

Being sick is the pits, but yay for good friends and family! Hoping y'all are feeling better soon and that you get to enjoy lots of "daddy" time soon!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Oh man Rachel! Rachel G filled me in on what was going on with you all last night. I am SO, so sorry. Being sick and having a sick kido is hard - but add NO daddy time and that is recipe for INSANE MOMMY!! Those circumstances get me every time. Hard stuff.

I am thinking about you and praying that things change very soon!!

The Montel thing just killed me though. Hil.ar.i.ous!

Stacy said...

Hoping that you'll both be feeling better soon! Keep drinking your hot tea! Praying for the weather to improve so your husband can be home with you both!!!

Elizabeth Frick said...

So many wonderful things to be thankful for. You are clearly very loved.
I LOVE the Montel Williams comment (I can't believe he's still on the air!)!

Janet said...

Man...that does sound like a hard stretch. I'm so sorry to hear you are (were?) both sick. I hope it is over soon. I had strep throat a few years back...and it was horrible. I hadn't experienced that kind of pain in a LONG time.