It's quite the feeling to accomplish something in life that you never thought you could do. As I crossed the finish line at yesterday's 8k race, I was surprised to feel emotional and a little shocked with myself. Running is a strange thing and it has taught me a lot about myself, and about life. I would have never dreamed that I would be able to tackle this distance, or that I'd be one of the "crazies" that was out in pretty cold weather yesterday for the race. I felt pretty proud of myself when it was all over, but mostly I was grateful for the opportunity and ability to do something I enjoy. Running is not my life, and if tomorrow I woke up and could not do it, that would be okay. But I thank God for good health and that for now I am able to run.
The race was...hard. So very hard. Much harder than I'd anticipated. It was cold, but that wasn't really a problem once I got going. The main challenges in this race were the hills and the snow. Wow, the snow. I did not anticipate running in so much snow and it really took it out of me. It takes a lot more energy and slowed me down a lot. The hills were frequent but not too steep, although they were killer on the way back (it was an out and back course).
Best move of the day: Putting vaseline on my face. It totally helped me not get wind burn.
Worst move of the day: Not wearing my YakTrax on my shoes - they help you grip on snow and ice and would have come in very handy during the race! Unfortunately all the roads near the start line were really clear and I thought I wouldn't need them. Big mistake!
I have to say that Brad wins the "Husband of the Year" award for his support and love yesterday. Without complaining he bundled up, pushed Matthew around for an hour while I ran (Matthew fell asleep before the race even started!) and cheered me on at the finish. Seeing him as I neared the finish line brought a smile to my face and gave me the boost I needed to finish.


I managed to meet all of my goals for the race:
1. Run the whole race - check!
2. Finish in under 1 hour - check! (official time: 54:53)
3. Not get beat by any speed walkers - check! I passed a couple of ladies early on and made it my goal to not get passed by them again :) There is nothing quite so humbling as being passed by a walker when you consider yourself a runner!
After the race, I got a quick snuggle from Matthew, then we loaded up and headed to our favorite and enormous Christmas store. It is beautiful! We found an ornament for Nathan, a train ornament for Matthew, and saw lots and lots of lights while Matthew stretched his legs.

After a delicious lunch, we headed home and ended up driving through blizzard conditions and seeing many cars go off the road. It was quite scary and I was thankful when we arrived safely home.
I am so sore today! More sore than I have ever been after running I think! I think I'll take a few days off and then...half marathon training begins :) Although I did ask myself in the middle of the 8k what in the world I was thinking with this half marathon stuff. But I love a challenge, and I need something to keep me busy while I wait for Nathan, so...here we go!!!!
16 comments:
Congrats on your run! It sure does feel awesome to achieve a goal like that! Having never been a runner before, I took it up last spring and love it. My goal was a 5k last year and I actually did two. Great job!!
Congrats--my husband is doing his first half next weekend! You did great!
I am so proud of you! Great job! I'm glad that you accomplished your goals and finished with a smile. I very much admire your determination! :)
SO AWESOME! I'm proud of you.
I don't run, but today took a long walk (on plenty of snow/ice) and was SOOOOO glad I had my yak-tracks...otherwise I'm a nervous wreck on ice. Scary!
You look so happy in these shots. Love it.
I totally forgot you were doing this race!! YAY RACHEL!!!! I am so proud of you. Good job girl!!!! Keep on going. You are definitely a "runner" if you not only run, but race in the snow.
I am so incredibly proud of you, my friend! You did awesome! And to meet all your goals? So wonderful!
When does your half marathon training start? Our race is April 10th... yours?
Congratulations!!!
Oh, and I find it so crazy that they didn't clear the course for you! Snow running is so exhausting.
Congratulations on accomplishing your goal! You have a lot to be proud of and how awesome that your guys were there to cheer you on.
Congrats! Way to go! You are so strong!!
Way to GO!!! I'm always so impressed by your running!!!!
Congrats on the race and meeting your goals. YAY! :)
As Evan would say..."you did it"!!!! Congrats to you!!! What a wonderful accomplishment!!!!!
Congratulations!!!! I love your attitude and determination, you are an inspiration.
Ahhh....yeah. You are awesome. Not only running but running but in the winter and in the snow. I declare that awsesome! Congrats!!!
Way to go! That's a big first and totally awesome. So when is the next one??!!
So awesome! I really admire your determination.
Woo-hoo!!! Congratulations!
Post a Comment