I am so happy to report that Little Man is doing a ton better these days! His skin has cleared up (thank you, oral steroid) and the itch seems to be controlled (thank you, antihistimine) and he is sleeping through the night again (thank you, wet pajamas!). We are trying to be as diligent as possible to control his eczema, and although signs of it returning started to show up this afternoon, I am hopeful that we will be able to keep him more comfortable with our new routine.
Over the last couple of weeks I have been doing a lot of reading about food allergies. I went to the library today and got out a stack of books and felt kind of like a college student doing a research project!
I think that while I thought I was doing a really good job of keeping him away from foods he is allergic to (egg, peanut and tree nuts) it is actually possible that he has been getting them in trace amounts through some of his foods. I have been learning more about the labeling laws here in the States and learning how to better read a food label, and I didn't realize that they do not have to label it and say if it was made in a facility that also produces other foods. Because of this, it is possible that he has eaten foods that don't contain eggs, but that were processed with eggs, which could be a problem. We are going to take the next month and be crazy careful with what we give him to see if that makes a difference with his skin.
I am happy to do anything to make my boy feel better. I have the overwhelming "what do I feed him" feeling trying to creep over me today, but I refuse to let it take hold. I am ordering a new cookbook, I will be cooking a lot more from scratch (we have gotten away from this a bit as we found foods we thought were safe), and it will be more work...but oh so worth it if we can keep Matthew from dealing with the issues he has been having for the last couple of months.
The last few days, now that he is sleeping and eating really well again, he has been such a happy boy! I mean, look at this smile! Can't you tell he is just feeling great?!?!
(I love this picture below...it looks like Daisie told him a really funny joke or something!)



It does my heart good to see him so happy and healthy. I hope and pray it lasts!


8 comments:
LOVE that picture with your dog. Great smile!
And good luck with this...I have been having lots of skin issues and am thinking I may need to make changes in my diet as well. Sounds overwhelming, but if it makes a difference, that it will be worth it. And cooking from scratch really is always a good thing. Hope it helps!
Oh, I love seeing his smile!
I can't even imagine having to figure out avoiding all the allergies, though I think you're smart to invest in some new cookbooks. We've found lots of benefits to home cooking, even though it takes extra time.
It's amazing what they sneak into packaged foods!
I hope things go well!
Glad your finding things that work. His smile is just precious.
those pictures make him look so old!
I love the one with Daisie too!! SOOO Cute!!!
What a good mama you are!!! Going to the library and figuring all this crazy stuff out-- I cannot even imagine how much stuff you have had to figure out!! Matthew is so lucky to have you on his side! Keep up the good work!
He is so so cute. He looks like he's feeling lots better. Good luck trying to figure it all out!!
Man...this totally sounds a like full-time job...but it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job w/ all your research, cook books, and plans. I'm impressed. I'm always appalled by what gets put into packaged foods sometimes. I've been trying to cook more from scratch lately too...but find it so hard with working outside the home also. Balance!! I'm so glad Matthew is feeling & looking better! Happy boy!
He is sooo adorable!
Post a Comment