One year ago today, my sweet boy was placed in my arms for the first time. My memories of that day are so vivid that when I think of it, my heart starts to beat really fast like it did when I was waiting to see him arrive with his escort, and my stomach gets all fluttery with the remembrance of what it felt like to be so close to meeting my child and becoming a mother. The emotions were incredible, and I remember thinking after that day how sometimes in life, you wait and wait for something special, but when the moment finally comes it does not live up to all you had dreamed it would be. This day, my friends, was NOT one of those days! This day was incredible, and so far beyond my wildest dreams.
I remember the first time I saw him. My first thought was, "He's so little!". And I just couldn't believe he was all mine. The wonderful escort handed him to me, and he laid his head on my shoulder. I remember his smell, the feeling of him in my arms, and everything around me faded away. I smiled and held him and just felt complete. I was holding my child.
I cannot look at this photo, however, without remembering all he lost that day. He lost the foster family who had loved him and cared for him. He lost his security, familiar sounds and smells, everything he knew. It is hard to think about that part of adoption, but it is all part of his story. I look at this picture and he just looks so lost and little and sad. It was an amazing day for me, but a difficult day for my little guy.
I could go on and on about how crazy I am about this boy, but you get enough of that in my other blog posts :) I thought I'd share a few pictures from the last year - it is amazing to see how he has grown and to realize how much we have been through in the last year and how we have grown as a family. 
September 2009: So in love!
October 2009: No teeth yet...but still a fabulous smile!
November 2009: So happy playing with his farm.
December 2009: Check out those cheeks! I forgot how squishy he was!
January 2010: Learning some new skills!
February 2010: More new skills - walking and fishy lips!
March 2010: Daddy and his Little Mister
April 2010: I just can't get enough of this smile!
May 2010: I can't believe it took us 9 months to get a picture of all three of us smiling!
June 2010: Is it just me, or did he suddenly graduate from baby to toddler?
July 2010: Yep...more in love with this boy than ever!
August 2010: A summer favorite - bubbles!
September 2010: My handsome guy :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
We had a weird Family Day around here. Matthew and I had a low-key kind of day today after he had a very frightening allergic reaction yesterday that required me giving him the EpiPen, calling an ambulance and taking a trip to the hospital. We are so thankful he is okay...I think I'll save the rest of the story for another day when the memories aren't so fresh. Brad had to work late and got home right before Matthew went to bed, so hopefully tomorrow we can celebrate together a little more! We praise God for our sweet boy and the unbelievable blessing he has been to our lives. Every moment with him is a gift!













8 comments:
YAAAAY! Happy Family Day! It's been fun revisiting a year ago in your post!
I was thinking the same thing about that June picture--he aged a lot that month!
Sounds like you had a scary situation, but I am so glad he is okay!
Happy Family Day!
Sorry you guys had such a scary day. Praise God he is OK.
These pictures are so cute! What fun memories!
I am so sorry to hear about your rough day. :( I saw it on facebook too and my heart just went out to you so much. We'll have to talk some time soon.
What an emotional day!!! Hope he is doing better now... :)
LOVED looking at the pics of your last year...he has changed so much, and almost looks like a little man.
Happy Happy Family Day!!!
I remember that day. What a great day. He has grown so much physically and in your heart. Happy family day!
Happy Family Day!!!!
Happy Family day to you!!!! Hugs!!!
Post a Comment