Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Needing Some Relief

Sometimes it seems that we are on a never-ending quest to get this little boy healthy. It's nothing major, just the ongoing battles of asthma and allergies and eczema. This time, it's the eczema giving us (or rather I should say "him") trouble.


The dermatologist told us that about 80% of kids find that their skin gets better in the summer. Poor Matthew seems to have found himself in the unlucky 20% of kids who get worse. It is so hard to see him so uncomfortable and to not be able to do anything about it. We do absolutely everything the doctor tells us to do, but still he is not getting relief.

Today we went for his 18 month check-up, and I was so thankful that our pediatrician realized that it is not getting better and decided to refer us to a pediatric dermatologist at a university hospital (we hear wonderful things about them, too!). She was able to get us an appointment there in a couple of weeks which is so great - this little boy needs some help soon! He is so itchy that he scratches until he bleeds. I hope that we can get him feeling better, and fast!

5 comments:

everythingismeowsome said...

That must be sooooooooooooooooooo miserable. I have poison ivy right now, and the heat makes it all the worse so I can only imagine how that poor baby feels. I sure hope the dermatologist can provide some help.

Elizabeth Frick said...

Poor little dude :(
Hope the dermatologist has some great solutions for you!

Britt said...

Oooh poor boy!!

Barry/ Amy said...

Poor little guy!! Glad you got an appointment and hopefully that will come with some relief :)

Karen said...

Poor Matthew! Hopefully they will have some answers for you soon!