So I hate to admit it, but last week I was a G-R-U-M-P-Y mama. Please note the capitals. Matthew is teething and I think has some kind of cold, nothing major but enough to make him very whiny. He has also been growing and changing soooooo much lately (as he should be, of course!) and is into everything at the moment. I found the combination last week to be enough to just about push me over the edge into crazy-woman-ville :)
Last night by dinner time, Brad and I were both just exhausted. We sat down at the table to eat, and I looked at him and we just started laughing. What a long weekend it had been! I don't know what came over me, but I suddenly realized we needed to have some FUN. We had been two crankapotamuses (that's what Brad calls me when I'm cranky - kind of like hippopotamus only cranky....should I be insulted by that?!!) and it was time to lighten up a bit.
What better way to fix grouchiness than to build a FORT?!? Even grown-ups need to build a fort once in a while. We rearranged the living room a bit, got some blankets, and TA-DA:


The fort was a big hit - Matthew and Daisie both loved it! We played for a while, chased him around, played peek-a-boo and all that good stuff, and then settled down among the blankets to watch "The Jungle Book". It was a lovely evening and totally drove the "crankapotamus" in me away :)
I realized this morning that part of the reason Matthew has been getting into everything (other than the fact that he's one and that's just what they do) is because he has been bored. So today we tackled a bunch of new activities and had so much fun! We colored a picture for daddy and traced our hands. We built a tower and knocked it over (this was not a new activity, but it's a favorite!). We read books and did puzzles. It was wonderful!
We had a blast playing with a bucket filled with rice and some of his toys. It is amazing how much he loved this! I kept asking him if he was done and he would just say "more....more!"
I don't want to be a cranky mama. I know sometimes it will happen but I was reminded today by all the fun we had that with a little more effort, staying at home can be all I dreamed it would be.




7 comments:
We have those stacking buckets, too! Love them! Playing 'kaboom' wouldn't be the same without them :)
fun fun :D
What a great way to look at things. I love his smile in the picture. What a fun mama you are!!!
I'm so glad you were able to turn the grumpies around! Believe me, I have PLENTY of crabby-mama moments. Luckily, our kids love us regardless. And look at all the fun you had because of it!
what super fun you guys were having!!!!
I hate when I get grumpy! Nick and I planned to build a fort and we kept not having time so then I got grumpier - and then we couldn't get a good fort going so I was sad... but Forts can be fun! I'm glad you fulfilled one of my recent dreams - to have a grown-up fort!
You always think of so many fun things to do with your Matthew. I love it! :-D And the fort idea looked fun. . . even for adults.
:-D
Post a Comment