Saturday, January 08, 2011

Because I Like to Run While I Wait

I realized the other day that every single time Brad and I have faced a long wait in building our family, I have developed a stronger passion for running. It must be therapeutic :) You may or may not remember that while I was waiting for Matthew to come home, I completed the training for a 1/2 marathon. Notice I did not say I ran a 1/2 marathon - he arrived 4 days before the race and there was no way I could run that thing having just become a new mom. Seriously, I was a wreck!

So...I'm waiting again :) Which means that I'm running again! I am the kind of person that does much better with a plan in place, a goal to reach, something to work towards...so I decided, why not try for the half marathon again? Of course I am praying that Nathan arrives 4 days before this one, too :) But if he doesn't, I am going to run (I typed "planning" then "hoping" but decided it's time to just commit) a half marathon on May 8th. That leaves me enough time to do the 14 week training plan plus a few weeks before that to get back up to being comfortable running 3 or 4 miles. I started this week by writing out my plan (cause I'm a nerd)...

I have completed two of three runs this week (both 2.5 miles and both went great!) and tomorrow I will run 3 miles. I am also planning to run a 5 mile race at the beginning of February. Having something in between helps keep me motivated. I am super excited because my sister and my dad have agreed to train for a 5k run in May that we will hopefully all run together!

Now I have something to keep my mind off the adoption...except for the fact that I think about it so much while I'm running! It's a strange sort of therapy!

7 comments:

Angela said...

sounds like a fantastic idea friend!!!

Christy said...

I completely understand how running helps even though you spend your run thinking about it. I think I get my head on straight during my runs! Good luck! I'd like to do a half marathon as well. I did the Army 10-miler twice, 13 is definitely attainable.
Thinking of you! Hope Nathan is home sooner than you think!

Angie B said...

well that is def a good habit for your health and body! :)

Anonymous said...

I just started to follow your blog, and noted we have a few things in common-- we're both Canadian (though, I live in Canada!), love to run and have adopted adorable little boys from Korea. I'm enjoying following along, and also excited for what 2011 has in store for your family.

Elizabeth Frick said...

Running is sooooo therapeutic!
I'm training for a half this spring too - mine's at the mid/end of April. We should stay in touch and encourage each other through the tough winter training runs :)

Rach@In His Hands said...

Yay Rachel! I know how much you enjoy running, so I'm thrilled for you!

Tomi said...

I just found your blog and love it! Running is a great way to get through the wait -- I did the same thing. Your post is getting me thinking about doing another half! Please let us all know how your training is going. See, now you have to keep it up because we're all watching! :-)