Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Little Bit of My Culture

We talk a lot about making sure that Matthew's Korean heritage is not forgotten and trying to incorporate some of the Korean culture into our family, but I also have a heritage that is important to me, and I want that to be a part of our family as well. We are such a mixture in our family - Brad is American, I am British and Canadian, and Matthew is Korean. So fun!

My British heritage is a big part of who I am. I grew up eating some "traditional" British foods and as I've gotten older, I have learned that I want to be able to make these foods for my family. My Mom and Dad often made it for us for Sunday lunch after church. It's taken me a while but I am finally able to make this meal by myself:


Trust me, it looks kind of gross but it is DELICIOUS! It is roast chicken with roast potatoes and vegetables, and we make a special thing in our family called bread sauce. I don't know if people here make it or not, but I have never found anyone else who does (except in England). We make it all from scratch, and it is kind of strange but oh so yummy.

I wasn't sure how Matthew would feel about it, but I think this picture says it all:


He wouldn't even stop eating to look at the camera! I was so happy to find that he loved this meal and especially the bread sauce.

Now I think I need to make a Korean meal again soon...any suggestions?

9 comments:

everythingismeowsome said...

I want a more detailed description of this bread sauce! Sounds interesting. As for Korean food, what about seafood pancakes? Yum!

Elizabeth Frick said...

Save for the meaty bits... yum!
I suggest mandu. Or kimchi pancakes!

Britt said...

You should make them Poutine sometime too!!

Leah said...

So fun to hear about your heritage! So often we forget about our own because we are trying so hard to make sure we honor our children's. I didn't know you were British and Canadian. Awesome! And that meal looks delicious. :)

Jenny said...

fun! i'm glad matthew enjoyed it!! i wanna hear more about bread sauce too... what's the consistency of it? is it

Melissa B. said...

I remember coming to your house for a meal like that...I was somewhat suspicious of the bread sauce...and then couldn't stop eating it!

Barry/ Amy said...

Look delicious!!! When are you having that again?? The Lafler's will be there :) :) LOL!!!! How about some refreshing cucumber kimchi?? (one of my personal fav's)

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Hmmm... Ever so curious about the bread sauce. AND - I still have a Matthew cup here. :) Must do something about that soon.

BrandiB said...

that looks good!