Things I didn't know before I became a mom:
1. I didn't know how much I could love this little boy. I knew it would be a lot - I just didn't know it could be this much. Like a "make my heart ache cause I love you so much" kind of love.
2. I didn't know how hard it would be to be a mom. Sure, everyone tells you, but until you are the one living it it's hard to understand. It is a full-time, round the clock, very tiring job. Thankfully, this is made okay because of #1. :)
3. I didn't know how many decisions there were to make as a parent. When Matthew first came home, I must admit that I struggled a lot for the first couple of weeks because it felt like every ten seconds we were making a decision about something - and I never knew what the right answer was! What should we feed him? How much do we feed him? Is he tired? His breathing sounds funny - what do we do? Should we call the doctor? Are they going to be mad that we're calling them so much? I just found myself saying to Brad all the time, "I don't know what to do!" Thankfully, as the days go by, this feeling of panic has passed (except when facing a new situation of course!) and we are kind of getting into a routine. I am so glad that Brad was nice and calm through all of this and that together we figured it out.
4. I didn't know how much a smile could mean. When Matthew smiles at me, it just makes my day. Amazing.
5. I didn't know how difficult I would find it to let go of my "old" life. It seems like everything in my world has changed - leaving my job to stay at home, stepping away from some ministries (some permanently, some just for a while), not being able to just do what I want to do when I want to do it...it's a big change. Not a bad change, just a big change.
6. I didn't know how many times a baby could poop in one day. Seriously.
7. I didn't know how easy it would be for me to get lonely staying at home. I am so grateful to have friends who are also at home with their little ones who I can hang out with :) It makes all the difference!
8. I didn't know I could be a light sleeper! Growing up my mom would always wake up the instant I walked into their room. I always wondered how she did this. Now I know :) I am awake the moment before Matthew starts crying because his breathing changes. Maybe I need to turn the monitor down!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Tomorrow it will be 6 weeks since Matthew came home. I really can't believe it has been that long already! He is such a joy to have around and truly the adjustment has gone much better than I ever dreamed it could. From the moment he was placed in my arms, I just knew he was meant to be mine. What an adventure!

8 comments:
Girl, you said it all. So true...
Awww, how lovely.
Being a Mom is the most wonderful gift a person could ever have. I know that ache all to well and you wonder how you ever made it through life with out them. And crazy as it sounds it only gets better and the love some manages to grow (I know it seems impossible). It means so much to be growing as a mom with you and learning lots of nee things about boys. You are a terrifc mom. Love you guys..see you tomorrow
It sounds like you've learned many valuable lessons. It also sounds like you and your husband are doing a wonderful job. :-D
all so true. I especially know too the loneliness that does come with being home. I still work, but I don't teach dance until 4 which is when hubby gets home. I sometimes wonder if I still know how to hold adult conversation. It is all worth it, but I also have found that I need that mom time away for a few hours when hubby is home too, and some girlfriend time would be great..if they still remember me.
So true! You put it all so well.
Beautiful post, I can relate to every single point you make! :)
I feel you on so many of these... but those smiles make it SO WONDERFUL!
Post a Comment