Monday, April 19, 2010

Naptime Woes

After two or three weeks of Matthew being on a perfect sleep schedule, taking two good naps a day and sleeping through the night, we are now navigating the interesting road of going from two naps a day to one. Matthew started to show that he was not tired enough for two naps, so I figured it was time to make the change.

In theory it sounds easy - just cut out one nap, right? Ah, if only it were that easy! We are now in the midst of trying to figure out a new schedule. He will not sleep long enough in the afternoon to prevent crankiness, and if he sleeps in the morning, he won't sleep after lunch and then, you guessed it - crankiness! My happy, well-rested little boy has become a grump a lot of the time. If only I could figure out how to give him one and a half naps a day...


This is one thing I didn't realize about having a child. Things are changing all the time! It seems like I finally get something figured out, and then it changes! I guess it keeps life interesting :)

7 comments:

Leah said...

How can he be so cute while he's sleeping. :)

It would be hard to change schedules. I guess the perfect naptime would be around noon, but that's also lunch time. I hope you guys get the new schedule figured out soon so your happy boy returns. :)

Kala said...

He's adorable in the picture. Good luck on the sleeping schedule. Keep us updated as I will take an advice I can!

Elizabeth Frick said...

It's so tough to go from two to one, but once you do, you'll be FREE!!! I dreaded the switch, and once O got onto one nap, we were able to have such a better social life! So hang in there...
the advice we read was to eliminate the morning nap and move the afternoon one way up. Then, once you're on the one-nap schedule, push it back little by little.

Megan said...

You are so right, once you feel good about having something figured out it changes. I remember the switching to one nap was hard at first but then after you get used to it and they get used to it you have more time to do things without the cranks setting in.

Unknown said...

You have at least 18-50 years of excitement and constant change ahead of you!! Buckle up girly!!

Unknown said...

Oh, and in case you wanted some unasked for advice... I made sure we had lunch at noon (unless crabbiness was setting in on one of us and then we'd eat at 11:30!!) and then nap time immediately followed... It worked for us, but doesn't work for everyone... Let me know how it goes.

Britt said...

I love how real and honest your posts are of parenting!