Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Learning to Run...Again

I am trying to get back to running but it is not going so well. Since Matthew arrived it has seemed much more like something I feel I should do rather than something I want to do. Why even bother, you may ask! Well, because I know that I love it. I know that once I am running regularly I feel good and I am happy to be able to go our and run. And also because bathing suit season is almost upon us :)

Running these days is just so much work!!!!

I used to like to run at the park, which is about 15 minutes away by car. But now just getting to the car is like running a marathon in itself! Not only do I get myself all ready to run (clothes, shoes, knee braces, mp3 player, hat, headband...) but now I have to get Matthew ready PLUS all the stuff he needs (snack, drink, diaper bag, etc) PLUS wrestle the stroller into the trunk. Then I drive there, unload it all...seriously, by this point I just want to lie down and take a nap in the grass :)

The solution, I think, is this: RUN WHERE I LIVE! It's super hilly around here but I guess I'll just build up some big muscles...or make up routes that avoid the hills. Yep, mostly likely the making up routes one.

Today we quickly got our stuff together, headed out the door, and ran two miles! It's not much, but it's a start. Hopefully we can get out there at least 3 times a week so that I can run a 5k in May. Plus, I'm hoping that since I run with the stroller a lot, when I run without it, maybe it'll be really easy?!?!?! Let's pretend that anyway :)

And on another, totally unrelated topic...we had spaghetti for dinner, and it was thoroughly enjoyed by the little mister :)



Yep, I'd say we both had a good day!

8 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said...

Definitely run where you live - it's the only way it actually gets done. And *do* make time for it - as a fellow runner, I know that I feel so much better when I get my workouts in.
And yes, it's WAY easier to run without the dang stroller.

Our Family said...

I can't believe you went running today. Hmm... what did I do... oh yeah, I took a nap. Haha! I have so much to learn from you. My hero;)

Britt said...

Does he like running? Does he fall asleep? at least all that time it takes, means you can't be bored!

Leah said...

Oh my gosh! Love the spaghetti pictures. He definitely looks like one happy little boy. :)

That's what new mothers are always saying. How much work it takes to go anywhere with a little one, and how much one needs to pack to leave the house. Kind of scary! Good for you for getting back into running! And I think 2 miles is great! Gosh - I couldn't run two miles if I tried.

Rachelle said...

I understand the wanting to fall asleep in the grass thing... By the time I get anywhere with my two, I'm totally exhausted. Good for you for pushing yourself and getting out there!

Jenny said...

two miles sounds like a great start!!!!! any amount of running amazes me :-)

BrandiB said...

Good for you! That's great that you are making that time to do something you love...I wish I had the energy you do!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Just stopped by to see how life's going for you and to see cute pics of your lil guy! Great that you're able to get out there and run again! Yes, those hills will make you strong! I wish I had more where I live!