Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Christmas Tree: Check!

The Christmas tree is finally decorated! It took a few nights, but we finally found the time and energy to finish it while watching White Christmas. Now we just get to enjoy it for the rest of the Christmas season!

I love putting all the ornaments on because there are so many memories that come back when we pull out our Christmas decorations. This year I smiled when I pulled out this ornament. We bought it in Tennessee in June when we were on vacation with my family. We had just received our referral for Matthew, and to be honest it felt like Christmas (and Matthew) would never be here. But now they both are! I felt so thankful as I hung up this ornament.

This is another ornament that's new to our tree this year. It is from Korea and a lady at our church who has two adopted daughters from Korea gave it to us. What a precious gift!

This ornament really took me back - woah, I almost forgot I used to be a teacher!


Ah, yes, the tree is not complete without Rusty Wallace, Brad's all-time favorite Nascar driver. I can honestly say I never thought I'd have a Christmas tree with a race car driver hanging on it!

This is one of my favorite ornaments. Brad surprised me with it on our first Christmas together. I get a little misty-eyed every time I pull it out. He had it engraved and it says, "Our first Christmas together 2004". Such a special gift!

So far, Matthew has not really been that interested in the Christmas tree, which is fine but kind of surprised me. I thought he'd find the lights interesting at least! But I'm not so bothered with him learning about Christmas trees or Christmas traditions as I am about him getting to hear the real story of Christmas. We had fun this week playing with a nativity set my mom and dad got him, and I was so excited to tell him the story of Jesus and how God sent His Son to earth for us. Well, I told Matthew the 1-year-old version this year :) We acted it out with all the little people, and I look forward to telling this story to him many times as he grows up, not just at Christmas but all throughout the year.


5 comments:

Rachelle said...

That Nativity set is so AWESOME! I still need to get the boys one they can play with. Hopefully this weekend. Your tree looks lovely.

Britt said...

I love the close ups of the ornaments- I've been trying to figure out what we're going to do to make our tree special... Nick wants to go pick out an Our First Christmas ornament together. I think we might go tomorrow before Hanging of the Greens.

Rach@In His Hands said...

Josiah loves his nativity, too! Your tree is lovely...our poor one is still waiting to be decorated!

Tamara said...

I love your tree! :) Where do you get your trees? They are always so pretty.

Janet said...

Lovely tree!! We also have lots of ornaments (LOTS!) and I love taking them out each year and remembering when/where we got them, special stories that go with them, etc... We have a nativity scene for Baby D too.