I've been thinking a lot lately about what it really means to have peace. I can't by any means claim to be one of those people that exudes it - I am quite tightly wound and often allow circumstances to dictate how I feel or react. I am beginning to learn that peace is not something that I can "will". I can't make myself feel at peace. I can't manufacture it myself or cause myself to feel it in the midst of a stressful situation. The only source of peace is Jesus Christ, and only in turning to Him do I find peace. I am also learning that it is amazing, but I can experience peace no matter what is going on in my life.
Lately, life has been a bit stressful. Not bad, necessarily, just stressful. I work at as a secretary at a church, and we have been under renovation for quite a few weeks. I came in to my office this morning and sighed.
Yes, it seems like everything in the church has been moved in here (ok, that may be a SLIGHT exaggeration!). It is hard to work in the midst of chaos, but as I sat on my desk and reflected on what I have been learning I realized that this, too, was an opportunity for me to choose - am I going to stress and be grouchy, or trust the Lord and experience His peace? When I stop and think about it, the answer is obvious...the trouble is, most of the time, I don't even stop to think about how I am going to react - I just react. Today I am grateful for my messy office and a chance to choose to trust instead of stressing.
Tuesday, April 08, 2008
State of Chaos; Heart of Peace
Thoughts from Rachel at 1:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I thought that construction was over! How is it that you are still blessed with all this extra clutter? I am very happy you were able to practice what you have been learning, but I hope your office can be more peaceful on the outside as well as you being peaceful in your heart. :-)
Girl, someone was listening last night! :)
Thank you for sharing your heart.
Post a Comment