Tuesday, September 04, 2012

All About Nathan

I remember a few days after Nathan came home, I sat down to type a blog post and I titled it, "All About Nathan."  Then I stopped, and realized there was no way I could title it that...because I knew hardly anything about Nathan!  But I was learning, and now, almost 15 months later, I feel like I can really type a post entitled, "All About Nathan."

Be still my heart.  This little guy, he has absolutely changed my life.  I didn't know my heart could feel so full of love - when I look at Matthew and Nathan, I feel like I might burst!

Nathan and I got off to a rocky start, but my oh my, how that has changed!  I am so thankful for the way our bond has developed over time.  I notice changes all the time, and even after a year I have noticed some significant changes in Nathan in recent months.

One of my favorite changes...I feel like he has finally let his guard down and let me in!  I can't really even explain it, but the way he looks at me, and talks to me, and squeezes me with all his might with a huge smile on his face...it's amazing.  

Bedtime used to be one of the worst times of day for me, the time I dreaded the most.  It was a battle, it was exhausting, and Nathan was just so stressed out.  The last several months, though, have been absolutely wonderful!  We turned a corner, and it is just so great.  Every night we each put a boy to bed, and we alternate with the kids (although Brad takes Nathan more often than I do).  Tonight was my night to take Nathan to bed, and as I laid down beside him, he snuggled as close to me as he could, with his face an inch away from mine, and I held his hand and sang him a song and just like that he was asleep!  Some nights as I lie beside him, he will suddenly start saying, "Mama. Mama! MAMA!" until I open my eyes and say, "What?"...and he'll smile and say, "Love you, Mama!"

Best. Thing. Ever.

Plus, he's cute as can be and I can't stop snuggling and kissing and hugging him all day long!


He loves to color, do crafts, glue, use scissors...he's always up for anything!  Such an awesome kid, he makes our days so fun!



He and Matthew are moving along in their relationship, too...Matthew is starting to really like having a little brother, and Nathan has always loved Matthew from the moment they met!  The two of them will disappear for ages into their bedroom and I'll hear them chatting away, and it seriously brings tears to my eyes all the time.  I pray they will be the best of friends.

Nathan's speech is coming along at a remarkable speed, although not many people outside of our immediate family get to hear it because he gets so quiet whenever we go anywhere!  He has started saying short sentences and it always surprises me - "Mama, help me!", "Matthew hit me!" (we hear that one a lot, even when I was standing right there and it obviously isn't true!), "I want that."

I'm so thankful for my little fire cracker :)  He has taught me so much about love and I can't imagine my life without him!


0 comments: