Thursday was a big day for our littlest boy - he got his new hearing aids!
We found out when Nathan had his CT scan done that it might be possible for him to wear ear-level hearing aids (with a molded piece in his ear, a little tubing over the top of his ear and the hearing aid behind his ear). The audiologist really wasn't sure how well they would work with his ears but she wanted to give it a try since he would be able to hear even better with these than the BAHA.
To be honest, I was a little skeptical and annoyed that we were making yet another change for Nathan. He has been through so many changes, and I just didn't want to fight him about one more thing. He had started taking off his BAHA hearing aid (the softband) frequently, so I battled him about that, plus making him wear the eye patch has become really difficult. I wondered if these hearing aids would be just another thing like that.
Nathan did so well at the appointment. He was so still and silent - not the Nathan I have come to know and love!!!! I told the audiologist I needed to show her a video of what he is like at home because she wouldn't believe how busy and noisy he is :)
We got a loaner pair of hearing aids to try out, and we still have the BAHA loaner as well just in case things didn't go well with the ear-level hearing aids. The blue piece is the ear mold and we got lots of fun stickers to put on the hearing aids.
It has been two days now, and I can tell you that we will probably not go back to the BAHA. For Nathan, these ear-level hearing aids are amazing! I noticed right away that his hearing is a lot better. I started doing little tests when he wasn't looking and couldn't believe the things he is responding to now. He can hear me whisper! He responds to his name the first time! He was hearing well with the BAHA and this is just one more boost for him. I feel like his language is just taking off and it is amazing to see how quickly he is learning new things.
The only rough thing so far with these hearing aids has been putting them in. He has screamed and sobbed through that each time until today after nap. It's so hard when you know that you are upsetting your child but you also know that you're doing it for their own good :( I was so thankful that after nap today he was just quiet and calm while I put them in! He has not tried to pull them out at all (yet) which is also great.

2 comments:
Yea,/God! So glad that the hearing aids are helping Nathan and that he is getting used to you putting them in.
I have been SO BEHIND on blog reading lately. This afternoon I was sitting, scrolling through blogs, and trying to feel somewhat caught up. OF COURSE this post caught my eye.
This post warms my heart (as an audiologist AND a mama). I'm so glad the hearing aids are working well for your sweet little guy. I love the car stickers. I hope it is getting easier to put them in...it sounds like you may have turned a corner (the fact that he sat still & let you put them on after his nap back on this day).
Hearing is SUCH a gift...and helping your child hear is such an amazing thing you are doing. Kudos to you! You are such a loving Mama!!
Post a Comment