Monday, September 02, 2013

Our Little Talker

When we first put Hannah's new hearing aid on I kind of expected a big reaction...or any reaction, really!  But it was hard to tell if she was hearing better or not.  She didn't turn when we said her name, she didn't react to loud noises, and I kind of wondered if it was even working.

Now that she's been wearing her BAHA for a few weeks I am starting to notice a big difference.  I think maybe she just had to get used to it and she may have been too overwhelmed at first.  She now turns as soon as we say her name, and she is starting to talk so much all of a sudden!  It is very exciting to see her progress in such a short time.

We had a lot of trouble figuring out where on her head to put the BAHA.  At first we had it behind her ear but it was driving us crazy!  It is on a softband, so it moves around, and when it gets hair under it and doesn't make good contact with her scalp it gives off an obnoxious feedback sound.  It was getting really frustrating to have to fix it every 10 minutes and Hannah was annoyed with it too.  Even though she asked for it first thing in the morning (by patting her head), she would pull it off when it was making the annoying buzzing noise.  

I'm glad we figured out a new place to put it on her head that works much better!  It is now up on her right temple and is working much better.  It hardly ever buzzes and she leaves it alone and seems much happier with it.  Success!



Hannah starts speech therapy next week so I was making a list of all the words she is trying to say.  I was surprised as I saw how many she really is saying (or trying to say) and I am adding to the list daily!  So far I have:

Up
Mama
Dada
Ready
Baby
More
"Right back" - when she is going somewhere she puts her finger up and tells us she'll be right back...it's my favorite!
Wet
Help
Daisy (our dog)
Done
Hot
Nana
Papa
Bye bye
Hi

This week when Brad was leaving for work she shouted, clear as day, "Bye Dada!"

I think she will be catching up to our two other little chatterboxes in no time at all!

1 comments:

Britt said...

That sounds adorable!! It's soo cool that she pats her head and knows what that headband can do for her!