I know, the audacity, right?! :) I have a family who wants to eat dinner every night! I was on such a roll with the freezer meals, and I may go back to that at some point, but for right now I haven't had big blocks of time to shop and prepare them. I have been struggling to find time to meal plan, make a shopping list, and go shopping every week or two. I find that we are just eating the same thing every week! So this weekend I thought it was time for a change.
None of these ideas are new, but I thought I'd share because I think I have found something that will make life easier for me, and because sometimes it's fun to see what other people do. I'm a total nerd and love organizing, charts, and tables :) So for me this is a perfect fit!
May I introduce you to my meal binder...
It. Is. Awesome. I have been working on it for a while, adding recipes and making sure that everything in it is something we like to eat and is safe for Matthew. And it just got better.
On Friday, I sat down and wrote out all the meals that we really like to eat. I added in some that we love but don't eat very often (like some Korean dishes that I don't often remember to buy ingredients for). I organized it by category - Mexican, Crock Pot Meals, Italian/Other, Easy Meals, Pizza/Leftovers, Asian Food, and Soup/Sandwiches. I thought this might make it easier to plan and also help us to have a bigger variety of meals each week.
Next, I made a table and started plugging in meals. I tried to make it so that we weren't eating chicken four nights in a row. Then I added side dishes underneath the main dish. Pretty soon, I had six weeks worth of meals without any repeating!
From there, I decided to create shopping lists for each week so that I don't have to look up the recipes and make sure I have everything before my shopping trip. I've decided to try to shop weekly (right now I go every two weeks) since we are eating so much more produce these days. I looked at each recipe and compiled a list that I can reference when I make my shopping list each week.
The next part was the most time consuming (it only took one evening but I have had to update it a little as I realized I was missing things). I made a printable shopping list with a list of the foods we buy most often. I always shop at the same store in the same order so I tried to put things in the order of the store (I always shop from the back of the store to the front). This way I can just keep this on the fridge, check off what I need and how many I need, and then take this week me to the store. I think it will help me to write it down when something runs out and also will give me ideas of things I may want to buy.
I have printed off several copies of the shopping list and store them in a clear pocket in the front of the binder. Behind that I have my recipes.






7 comments:
Wow! That is fantastic! I think everyone should do that! I hope it makes life easier on you because I can't even imagine having to create everything from scratch! I just started trying to shop from the outside of the grocery store only for healthier options! It worked, but now I need a bigger fridge because all healthy stuff needs to be refrigerated! Do you have an extra freezer or 2 fridges?
that looks like an awesome system! Taking the time to get organized is half the battle and I love that you have 6 weeks worth of meals, shopping lists, and recipes all in one place! I may steal some ideas from this...
It's so organized! Looks like it makes things a lot easier. I like the idea of meal planning, but I also like to indulge my 'what do I feel like eating tonight' urges...which doesn't work if I decided two weeks ago what we're having for dinner. But once our third arrives from China, I'm not sure I'll have the mental space to do that any more! I should probably figure it out before that happens.
Can you send me those templates?
Yowza!!!! I am impressed. How much is your weekly cost for food?
An old time reader here. Would you be willing to share those documents? I have three young kids also and struggle mightily with organization in the kitchen.
Thanks!
This is random but I found this on Pinterest and thought of all the allergies in your house:
http://www.marthastewart.com/314931/no-bake-birthday-cake
Post a Comment