We have been waiting for this for, oh, three short years :) It was time for a night away, just me and Brad...
...and no children!
It seems crazy that it's taken us this long. Trust me, it's not that we were that worried about leaving them. But with Matthew being so sick all the time, and then Nathan coming home a year ago, it just had never seemed like the right time.
But we knew that with our trip to Korea coming up in just a few months, we needed to start getting the kids ready for us being away. It was Brad's birthday last week, my parents were in town, and the cottage was beckoning. So we took the plunge...
...and let me tell you, it was fabulous!
Peace. Rest. Not being needed by any little ones. Being together.
Perfect.
We canoed, enjoyed the outdoors, watched movies...I sat outside and read a book, people!
It was delightful.
Best of all, I got to spend time with my wonderful hubby. In this busy season of life, it is easy to just pass each other by day after day, to get lost in the stuff of life. You know the "stuff" - potty training and dinner and mowing the lawn and bedtime routines...good stuff, necessary stuff, but still it sometimes makes it hard to connect.
It was good to just be together.
My parents stayed with the boys, and overall we all agreed it went well. Matthew didn't get super itchy (which can happen when he is stressed), Nathan was (and I quote) "a perfect angel" (!), and Matthew did eventually fall asleep (even if he did a whole lot of yelling for me until 1am).
I was worried about the aftermath, but honestly they have done so well and were just happy to have us back. No sleep disturbances (I can hardly believe it, but after almost 3 years we finally have kids who will sleep through the night!!!!!), no mood changes...just happy boys :)
We get to go away overnight again in July, and then hopefully for a couple of nights in August.
I. Cannot. Wait.

2 comments:
So happy for you!! It sounds divine!!! The last time Kurt and I planned a get-away, we had a hurricane come through and his parents, our 2 kiddos at the time, his sister, 2 children and dog had to all evacuate with us!!! Kurt's parents kept the kids in their hotel room. We didn't wake up until noon the next day!!!! Aaahhhh!!!
getting away = better, happier parents. Or that's what we have found, at least :) so glad you had a chance to get away, just the two of you!!
Post a Comment