I often hear people talk about the "honeymoon" after adopting. Things go well for a while, maybe for a long time, before reality sets in and it gets difficult.
With Matthew, the honeymoon started the moment he was placed in my arms. It was love from that moment on, and our bond just grew and grew. I couldn't get enough of him; I would leap out of bed in the middle of the night thrilled that I got to see him again.
The second time around, it was different. Looking back I really wouldn't say the bonding process was worse, just different. Me and Nathan, we have something special now. We have a love that was forged through hard times, tears, struggle. It is a deep and secure love that I know can't be shaken. That little boy has captured my heart and he is a part of me.
But a honeymoon? We didn't really have one of those.
Until now!
I think we are finally on our honeymoon :) Nathan has me wrapped around his little finger these days. I smile every single time I walk into a room and see him. When he gets up in the morning and I hear his little voice calling, "Mama!" my heart does this funny little flip, and when I pick him up and his arms squeeze around my neck I think my heart might burst with joy. The days of struggle seem so long ago and life is just so good now.
I thank God so very much for the blessing of this little boy! He has taught me so much about love and I will never be the same because he is my son.

1 comments:
Me and my son's road to bonding was plagued with ups and downs. A lot of good times, but a lot of difficult ones as well, and I'm also so happy and grateful to feel like I'm on the other side of that. :) So happy things are going well for your family.
Post a Comment