One year ago today I found him. Looking at an online photolisting for waiting children, his face appeared and I literally gasped out loud, then let out a little giggle. I mean, really, check out that hair! I thought he was just about the cutest thing I had ever seen.
Every night I had come to Brad with another picture, another baby, another question - what about this child? Do you think we could handle these special needs? I could not stay away from the photolistings; I felt such a pull to keep checking back, as though I knew I was just waiting to find our baby.
I cannot tell you that I knew right away that Nathan was meant to be ours. I hoped, I prayed, I talked to Brad, and we went ahead and requested his file. We talked and prayed more, knowing we had to make a decision soon as another family was also looking at his file. In the end, it seemed like it just wasn't meant to be. We had no money saved yet, we had just started working with a different agency...it just seemed too hard.
So we said no. We told the agency that we were not able to be his family.
And I cried. I trusted Brad, I trusted God, I put Nathan's picture on the fridge to pray for him to find a family, and I cried.
Fast forward three months...Nathan still waited, many things had changed in our situation, and it seemed like a whirlwind as we began the process to adopt Nathan! God worked in so many amazing ways to make it possible for us to bring him home. It is hard to believe that just 11 months after we first saw his face, Nathan was running around in our house! What an amazing journey this has been.

3 comments:
I just love that first pic of Nathan!!! He looks just like a prince :) Congrats on one yr!!!!
Wow! One year already? Time is flying by. I'm so thankful that he's now your son and selfishly I'm so thankful that I can know him. You have a perfect family!
Love this post, Rachel. What a difference a year can make, huh? So thankful for you and your beautiful family. Nathan looks like he's doing great - I still love that first crazy hair pic of him, too. What a character! Can't wait to see you guys!
Post a Comment