Friday, July 15, 2011

My Two Little Boys

People ask us a lot how old the boys are. We sometimes get the "Are they twins?" question, but not too often (I think that the size difference between them is pretty obvious). Every time I answer that they are 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 years old, I think to myself, "Wow, that's a little crazy!" I never dreamed I would have children so close in age, but I have to say it is pretty fun most of the time.

There are some great things about having them so close in age and having Nathan come home at 17 months old. For one thing, I didn't have to buy any new clothes! I mean, I did buy new clothes, because it's hard to resist...but I didn't have to :) We just have one closet full of boys stuff and we mix and match whatever fits each boy.


For another thing, they like the same toys. This is both a good thing and a hard thing. Nathan mostly likes to play with whatever Matthew is playing with :) Of course, this is a challenge for Matthew and I am learning about how much to intervene and how much to let them figure it out for themselves.

I love that both boys can walk. Nathan still loves to be carried a lot, but it is more for him to feel secure rather than because he can't. It is so fun to have them run around the yard together!

I love that they're both at an age where they can understand simple directions. Nathan has been amazing us this week in what he is understanding, both because of his hearing and also because he has not been hearing English for that long. Tonight I offered him something at dinner, he signed "all done", then pointed to something else and signed "more"! It is great to be able to communicate with him. And Matthew...well, he is just a riot right now with the things he says. He has a great sense of humor already!

I think the hard part about having two little ones so close in age is just summed up in one word: neediness. Man, are they needy at this age! They want my attention, they want me to help them, they want to snuggle...don't get me wrong, I love love love being with my boys, but sometimes it is just so tiring to be constantly needed like that. I know this is just a season, though, so I am trying to enjoy being needed :) One day I know I will just long for the days of having both my boys snuggled on my lap.

Overall, it is a lot of fun having the boys at this age and so close together. Or maybe I should say, when we've all had a good night's sleep it's a lot of fun :)

4 comments:

Tanya said...

I love that you guys are doing so well. Your posts make me smile constantly. THanks for sharing.

My time is coming, Daniel comes home on Wed!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I have been thinking about you so much Rachel! It's been forever since I have seen you. :( I know about neediness and how hard it can be on the mama... :) I know it's worth it. You are doing such a good job!!

Jessica J said...

Such a fun picture! I missed Nathan's homecoming so... a little Delayed congratulations!!!!....your boys are beautiful!

Yvonne said...

With our three kids 32 months apart in age, we get the twin, triplet, sibling question all the time. But I love that our kids are so close in age - even though I agree with you that the neediness is exhausting. There are lots of great things about them growing up together, sharing likes and similar abilities, and of course, that they are all born in Korea. So glad your boys are together!!