Sunday, June 08, 2014

The Foot

I don't know what I did but somehow I broke my foot :/

Well, not the whole foot! Actually just a teeny tiny little bone called the sesamoid bone (there are two  of these in each foot at the base of the big toe in the ball of your foot.  Who knew???).

It started more than a month ago, when I vaguely noticed pain in my foot and that I was standing on the outside of my foot pretty frequently.  Then one day I was going through a drive through and I realized that I was switching feet to hold the brake down because my right foot hurt so much.

Hmmm.

Still life was so crazy with sick kids that a couple more weeks went by.

It started hurting at night.  A lot.  Throbbing sharp pain that made me get out of bed and hobble to the kitchen for ice and pain medication.

I finally made a doctors appointment, had X-rays and was told everything was fine.  My doctor told me I could see a podiatrist if I was still having pain so I scheduled the appointment.

Turns out that the X-ray actually showed a fracture in my sesamoid bone, which explains the pain so much!!

Now I am in this post-op shoe that has a flat sole to keep my big toe from moving.


This week I will be getting a walking cast and I hope that will help with the pain.  From reading about this injury (and I really don't know how I did it) it seems like a tricky injury that can take a long time to heal.  I hope to be back to running in a few months but I guess we will see!

Never a dull moment!

0 comments: