Friday, January 03, 2014

Ending the Year With a Bang

We had a {mostly} wonderful Christmas and New Years this year.  Things got a little bumpy on Christmas Eve when Brad had to work unexpectedly due to an ice storm, and then our furnace broke...but thankfully it was fixed quickly and Brad was able to get off work in time for us to head to Canada for some much-needed time with my family.  We spent a lovely, relaxing, fun few days with my mom, dad and sister before returning home for the New Year. 

Unfortunately on our last day at my parents house Hannah came home with a cold and she spent the next 7 days like this....


It was just a cold but this is the sickest she's been since coming home.  She didn't want to be put down ever and slept on/with us for a week.  Not the most restful week, that's for sure!  But we are glad that today she is up and around and we are seeing many more smiles.

On New Years Eve we had a bit of a scare (ok, it was a big one for me) as Matthew had an allergic reaction.  It's been so long since he's had one....this was quite the reality check.

I had taken Nathan to speech therapy and was sitting in the waiting room (Brad was home with Matthew and Hannah) when I got a call from Brad.  He told me Matthew's lips were swelling up and he was giving him Benadryl.  I got this text from him...


The Benadryl did not do anything and he was saying his tongue and mouth were itchy, as well as his lips.  We wrestled with giving the Epi-pen, which is not an easy choice to make.  It is hard enough taking your kids to the doctors to get them shots, but to give one yourself....it's hard.  

In the end we opted to take him to the ER which is 5 minutes away.  We spent a few hours there where Matthew received more Benadryl and steroids.  


Thankfully his reaction never progressed beyond his mouth.  We have since talked to his allergist and realize now that we should have given the Epi.  *Sigh*.  It is so hard when it's happening to make that decision but I do feel more ready for next time, should there ever be one.

We think that Matthew reacted to a bagel he ate for breakfast.  He's eaten this brand for years without trouble, but after calling the company we learned that they are made in the same factory with nuts :(  I thought they were safe but I have learned that we need to be even more thorough with checking on foods to make sure they are safe.  I thought I had called this company before....apparently not.

The day got much better once we were home from the ER and the swelling went down.  We were so excited to have some friends over for New Years Eve and it was fun to have some "adult time" with the little ones in bed.

2013 was a wonderful year and we look forward to what 2014 will bring for our family!




0 comments: