Christmas break is over and we are sllloooooowwwwwlyy getting back to our regular routine. I thought I'd give a little update about where we're at and how things are going.
I'm glad I did a lot of planning before the break because it seems that I can't get myself into gear just yet! We have settled into a comfortable and fairly easy routine that is not difficult for me to plan or prepare, and that has helped immensely.
We are finishing up Level 1 of Matthew's reading curriculum (All About Reading) and I have to say we LOVE it! The lessons were pretty short, very manageable for us, and the teacher's manual is fantastic. There was some prep work, but not too much. There were games that Matthew always enjoyed and it came with three books that helped him to build confidence as he was learning to read. He often asks to read from these books and seems to really enjoy them. I would definitely describe him as a reader now! He can pick up any easy-to-read picture book and read it with very little help. It is amazing to see!
I had the poem typed up already, and Matthew read it to me (he needed help with the words "specially" and "bottoms") and then drew the duck. I thought he did a great job!
We have a lot of fun with school most of the time, although we certainly have our days. Matthew loves math, does NOT love learning to write (we're going slowly and he's doing a good job for his age), enjoys coloring, really likes reading and being read to, and is generally pretty cooperative. We have our "bad attitude" days for sure, but they don't usually last very long. I love homeschooling and we are thinking and praying about next year and what we will do. So many decisions!!!



0 comments:
Post a Comment