Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Settling Into Our Schedule

It's no secret: there are a lot of different ways to parent.  Different things are important to different people, and we all have personalities and backgrounds that influence the way we do things with our kids.  

Since Hannah has been home, I've realized one big thing about myself: I'm a planner and I like a schedule.  For me, that's how I survive three kids four and under!  

If we're going to the store, I have a plan.  I know when we need to start getting ready to leave on time.  I methodically pack up our stuff on the table then load it in the diaper bag near the door.  The kids take turns going to the bathroom then getting their coats and shoes on.  I tell the kids where we're going, and who's going to ride in the cart or walk (Hannah rides in the front and the boys take turns riding in the back - I can't handle two on the loose at one time!!!).  They know what to expect and most of the time that helps things go really well.

Nap time has come to be the same.  Before Hannah came home, I was kind of winging it each day because Nathan would sometimes nap and sometimes he wouldn't.  And sometimes he'd scream for an hour - you know, just for fun :)  Nap time was a nightmare!  When Hannah came home I didn't know what I would do, since I knew she needed one.  But we made a plan and it has gone so well!  I give Hannah a bottle in our bedroom while the boys sit on the couch playing ipad/ipod and I can see them from our room.  She usually falls asleep before her bottle is even done, and I put her in her crib.  One down, two to go!  Then the boys get a 2 minute warning (this helps prevent meltdowns!) and then I take them into their bedroom.  Nathan now goes to sleep without us lying with him (yey!) so I put some quiet music on and sit just outside their door.  They sleep every day now that this is our routine!  It's amazing!  I often have an hour or more by myself...sweet bliss :)

We have a bedtime routine, a bath routine, we do a lot of things the same just so that the boys know what to expect.  It helps us know, too!  I totally get that not everyone is like this, and maybe it sounds like I'm a drill sergeant but we move through our routines with a lot of laughing and fun.  Well, sometimes.  :)  And sometimes I'm a drill sergeant :)  We're talking about survival, people!

I feel like we are finding our groove now...and although the transition has been surprisingly easy I have got to say that three kids is a lot of work!!!  I am so tired!!!  We definitely have to stay home more than we used to just because it's so tiring putting three little ones in car seats!

That's what we did this weekend - we stayed home!  Thankfully we had some nice weather and were able to play outside for a while.  We found out Hannah loves swinging.  I can't wait for summer and lots of time in the backyard!




3 comments:

Yvonne said...

Ha! I loved the comment about staying home more because it is so tiring getting three kids in car seats - I can totally relate to this! I still limit how many times I get the kids in and out of the car!

You don't sound like a drill sergeant to me - having a routine helps littles and bigs alike. So glad you are finding somethings that work for all of you!

Barry/ Amy said...

LOVE the part about loading them in the car!!!!! Seriously my girlfriend was going to take all the kids FOR THE DAY! But I had to drop and pick them up....seemed like too much work so I opted out! LOL!!!!! How crazy am I??? Loading them up is just such a job :) Staying home is better! :)

Stacy said...

Great plan!!!! Love the staying home! I know I'll be dropping quite a few "swing into Wal-Mart" last minute trips!!!