It has been a long road, people, but we made it! Two little boys sleeping WELL in the same room! I wasn't sure we'd ever get there. But we're on about week four and it has gone remarkably well, so I feel like I can blog about it now without worrying that tomorrow I'll be posting that Nathan is back in our bed :)
I have to say, I had never thought that we would co-sleep. In fact, I was pretty adamantly against the whole thing. But I'm learning along the way never say never! Sometimes the best thing for your kids may not be what you would prefer to do. A child sleeping with us for a year...not what I would have picked. Truthfully though I am so glad we went this route with Nathan. He needed it, plain and simple. With Matthew being so sick for so long, up at night so many times, and Nathan being hysterical if he was sleeping alone...well, it was the right choice for our family.
After our Korea trip, we knew it was time. We have a few more months until Hannah comes home, and we wanted Nathan and Matthew settled in their room (and hopefully sleeping well!) before that time. So a few weeks back, we made the move!
After a fun trip to Ikea, we set up the boys' new beds!
We had two toddler beds for the boys before but we knew we needed to have a twin bed so that we could lie down with Nathan as needed. Their room is small...so these low bunks were the perfect option for us!
The boys absolutely L.O.V.E their new beds!
A friend of mine had a great suggestion after a rough first night with Nathan and said maybe hanging a blanket over the side would make it more fun (he was pretty jealous of Matthew's fun top bunk). It totally did the trick! The boys are not allowed to go up to the top bunk during the day so the bottom bunk became their new favorite place to play. It's so fun, like a little fort, and that night Nathan climbed right in and snuggled down without a fuss. Amazing!
I'm so thankful we were able to make this happen and that it's gone so well. Nathan still needs one of us to lie down with him at bedtime, and he still wakes up in the night, but sometimes he sleeps 7-8 hours before waking up and calling for us. Big progress! I love that the beds make a bit more space in their little bedroom, too!
And in case you're wondering...I have no idea where Hannah is going to go just yet! There is room for a bed or a crib in their room, but three kids under four years old in one room kind of sounds like a nightmare to me :) We might set up the crib in our room, she might sleep with us...who the heck knows! It's all part of the adventure I guess!

2 comments:
This is great Rachel. Encourages me as we are working on night time stuff too. That is one awesome bed!
Love you're attitude towards Hannah's sleeping arrangement!!!
Check out #1 & #9:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/27-ways-to-rethink-your-bed
.....and this idea of making the dresser, also the bed:
http://www.momoy.com/2010/05/25/small-teen-bedroom-furniture-arrangement-ideas-from-sergi/
Post a Comment