Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Very Special Project

Several months back, I read a blog where a mom had made a Quiet Book (sometimes called "Busy Books") for her children.  It was such a neat idea, a book that had little activities that babies/toddlers would enjoy that were quiet and that would hopefully keep them entertained and quiet as well!

I instantly thought about our plane ride home from China with Hannah...gotta say, I'm really not looking forward to that very much!  I got thinking though that maybe a quiet book would be a helpful thing to have.  

Let me mention right now that I'm really not crafty.  I can't sew.  I can't follow a pattern.  It totally intimidates me.

So of course I started looking online for one to buy :)

I was pretty astonished to see how much they go for (they are handmade, and take a lot of time, so I really do understand).  

Suddenly my cheapness came face to face with my lack of craftiness.  Yes, I know those are not words.

Cheapness won out and I am making my own!  I did lots of searching on Pinterest and blogs to get ideas, drew pictures of what each page would entail, and set to work!

I have to admit, I am enjoying this so much!  I am totally a beginner sewer, so if I can do this anyone can.

The first page I completed:


The top flower unbuttons (but stays attached to the page - I realized quickly that I wanted everything to be attached.  On our plane ride home from Colorado with Nathan he threw every single toy we handed him on the floor. Awesome.)


I know Hannah won't be able to do this alone yet but I wonder if it might keep her occupied, or maybe she'll enjoy helping me?  Or maybe she'll hate it, who knows?!?!  :)

The next page is one she will be able to play with for sure.  It is just counting beads that move up and down along a string.


When I found these beads at a local store I knew they were just what I was looking for.  Adorable!


I have only finished three pages so far (out of 10), because it's the type of thing I can only work on after the boys go to bed...and most days I'm too tired out to do much!

This is my favorite page so far!  It's a little barn with doors that open...


...and inside are three animal finger puppets!


...which of course are attached with ribbon so we don't lose them :)


I followed the template from this blog for the barn and the finger puppets.  It was not hard at all!

It's a bit of a challenge for me and outside of my comfort zone but I like learning new things and I hope one day this will be a special book for Hannah.  I will try to share more when it's finished!


5 comments:

Britt said...

It looks great!!! I think it is a very good idea too!! I think it will be something you'll want to keep forever too because it will have such memories with it!

Ellie said...

This is GREAT!!! I love it. You may have just inspired me yet again Rachel! You go!

Angela said...

so cute! I'm wanting to make one for Caden for Christmas---I better get started!!!

Anonymous said...

This will be perfect! Such a special and fun idea!
Love, Marilyn F.

Yvonne said...

this looks awesome! Great job! I've always liked these types of books - just never got around to making them. Hope it makes your flight easier!!