Sunday, September 11, 2011

Train Day

It's no secret that Matthew loves trains. They are our most frequent topic of conversation, and unfortunately we are almost to a point where my train knowledge is outdone by my 2 year old.

"Look at those pistons!" he says to me the other day as we watch a train movie.

"Yeah....wow!" I say back to him, wondering what a piston looks like.

When Brad got home, I asked him in a low whisper if trains have pistons. Apparently they do, and he's been teaching Matthew about them, and now Matthew knows more than me.

I knew it would happen, but I didn't expect it so soon!!!!

Since Matthew loves trains so much, a certain little someone who lives and breathes to be just like Matthew is finding quite the passion for trains as well. These two little boys spend a lot of their time like this:

Nathan figured out that the drawers are perfect little seats! This is nice because it keeps the boys on opposite sides of the table :)

Playing with trains = happy boys!



On September 24th we will be celebrating Matthew's "Family Day" - it was 2 years ago that he joined our family! We hope to have some friends visiting that weekend, so we decided to do something special this weekend to celebrate. What is more fitting when celebrating Matthew than to enjoy some TRAINS?

On the way to our fun train event we stopped for a picnic. This was my favorite part of the whole day. Our little family of four, a beautiful park, perfect weather, two very hungry little boys...it was wonderful.



We were surprised when we arrived at the train event to find out that Nathan is actually terrified of life-sized trains. He clung to Brad's neck so hard that Brad didn't even have to hold onto him! It was sad and adorable all at the same time. Thankfully after a few minutes he was fine :)

We got to ride a small train, which both the boys loved.

We got to see a real steam engine that is over 70 years old, and the big boy (Brad) was pretty excited about this! It has to be maintained and fixed up every 15 years so they were working on it at the time. Matthew could not believe how big it was!


We got to see model trains with a set-up so great that I could not even get Matthew to look at the camera for a second!

And one of the most fun things, we got to ride on a real red caboose! It was just a short trip but lots of fun.




We had a great day and I'm so glad we made the trip. We haven't taken a lot of trips with the boys yet but life is starting to really settle down and these things are starting to become enjoyable rather than stressful. I am so thankful for my family!

And might I also add that I am thankful that both of the boys are asleep (its 7:45pm) and have both slept pretty much through the night the last two nights?!?! I honestly didn't know if we would ever get here, but I'm so thankful that we did! Sleep makes all the difference!

2 comments:

Arlona said...

What a wonderful post. Does Nathan wear the patch for lazy eye? Where were the trains that you visited/rode on? It looks like lots of fun.

Anonymous said...

Rachel, Thanks for sharing! Your boys are as handsome as ever! Nathan looks extra handsome in orange! :) So glad you have had a couple of good nights of sleep!!
HAPPY FAMILY DAY!!! Miss you!!!!
Marilyn