Saturday, December 04, 2010

Some Things Are Getting Easier

Over the last few weeks we have been stepping into new territory - the toddler years.  I refuse to say we are entering the "terrible two's" because I choose to believe that this year will be terrific and not terrible.  Please don't burst my bubble by telling me otherwise :)

As we've faced many new challenges lately, I've found it easy to become worn down and overwhelmed with this whole parenting thing.  I just really, really don't want to screw it up, and sometimes that is hard since I have no clue how to handle things!  The last few days, though, I've been reminded that although there have been new challenges as Matthew has grown, there have also been many things that are getting easier.

For example...

  • Eating is way easier these days.  Not only have we figured out how to manage his food allergies (and he's got the smoothest, most eczema-free skin I've ever seen by the way!!!) but now that he can feed himself I actually get to eat!  With both my hands!  That is a blessing and even though it's been that way for a while, sometimes it's good to remember how much work meals used to be.
  • Communication:  This is one that could be placed on the "easier" and "harder" list right now.  Matthew is talking a ton and most of the time we can figure out what he wants/needs, which helps a lot.  On the other hand, his lack of ability to communicate is often what causes the meltdowns.  Still, hearing him talk and learn new words has been so amazing, and lately he has been getting so expressive.  This is him telling me that his food was "hot" yesterday (although it wasn't...we haven't mastered "warm" yet!).


  • Trips out are so much easier now.  It used to take me so long to pack up and get ready.  Now we are pros at getting out the door in no time flat!  It also helps that he can walk (this came in very handy today when I was carrying 13 library books!  I was glad to hold his hand instead of carrying 27 extra pounds!)
  • Taking pictures: easier!  He loves to smile for the camera now :)

  • Reading books - now that Matthew's attention span is getting longer we can actually read real stories!!!  Love this!

I'm sure every age has different challenges and different advantages.  I keep finding myself saying "Oh, this is my favorite age for sure!" to every age that Matthew is!  There are so many great things about each stage and that is the only thing that keeps me from being sad that my little boy is growing up (sniff, sniff).  

It's only been one day, but so far...two is for sure my favorite age!

8 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said...

Oh, I *loved* two. So, so fun. It's three that's killing us!
And as for getting all that stuff down pat? It all goes out the window once #2 arrives. Hate to tell you... ;)

BrandiB said...

actually I really liked two as well....it's 4 that killed us with both our girls! 2 was so much fun!!
But, Matthew seems like he would be fun at any age :-) Either way, don't beat yourself up. Parenting is harder than any of us ever imagined and I think you are doing a great job!

Unknown said...

Every age has positives and negatives... just continue to focus on those positives and soak up all the snuggles you can... eventually, they don't run to mommy for hugs and kisses... that was the hard part for me. So, I devised my own plan to get them. Basically it involves, stalking, tackling and pinning them down and smooching them all over until they can't breathe for laughing so hard, but it really isn't the same as snuggling in the rocking chair.... Also, it is absolutely YOUR JOB to screw up parenting... that's what teaches the kids to overcome adversity!! At least that's what my motto is... Ask Jacob what his mommy's job is and he'll tell you "to torture me"... :-) Have a great day!!

Melissa B. said...

So should I tell you that most of the families I work with say that 2 was pretty easy, but 3 is the tricky one? I guess 3 is the new 2! Sounds like you're doing a great job keeping everything in perspective though!

Stacy said...

Every age does have it's challenges and as each new year comes you realize that the previous year was pretty easy:) A great book I'm reading now is Raising Godly Tomatoes!

Kala said...

Were coming up on 2. It will be interesting. Doesn't it feel wonderful when they learn something new? It makes me feel like I'm doing something right!!

Cara said...

Happy Birthday! Two is a fun age!

Did you get the email I sent you? Just making sure I sent it to the correct address!

Rachelle said...

I have only had 3 and 4 yr olds, so I can offer no advice... but I can say your little man is making two look totally ADORABLE! :) Your doing a great job, MAMA!