A while back I wrote a post about how I was starting running again because I had gotten some cute new running shoes...well, at that time, I did and I didn't start running again. What I mean is that I went a couple of times here and there but never really got back into it again. Then about a month ago, I read one of my friends' blogs and saw pictures of her from her 10k run...and I was back on track! I don't know why, but I find it very inspiring when I hear about other people that were able to reach their goal.
That was the kick I needed and off I went! I found a plan online (because I don't really do anything in my life without making a plan!), wrote up my calendar training schedule, and off I went. Slowly. At the pace of a turtle. There have seriously been times when I've been jogging at the park, and I come upon a person who is walking, and I think to myself, "Ok, Rach, gotta speed up a bit so that you can pass them..."!!!! HA! Yep, I'm slow and I know it. But my goal is not to win a race (because I am a realist!), but it is to finish a 5k in June and to hopefully do better than the last time. Oh yes, and I hope I can finish without feeling like I am going to DIE because that is how I felt last time and it was not pleasant!
My big encouragement so far has been having one good day. Brad has been doing some of the runs with me, but it is always impossible for me to keep up with him...until last week that is! For some reason, I had a great day and was able to keep up with him. I cannot describe the elation I felt knowing I am getting faster! Unfortunately, the next time we went it was back to slow poke. But at least I had a glimpse! And on Monday I ran a mile in just over 10 minutes, which is a lot faster than I used to be!
Here is the schedule I have been following - I am so proud of myself for actually doing it! Last week I went jogging 4 times which is a record for me - I couldn't ever make it past 3 before! I have even been doing the walking on the other days (one day this week we went bike riding with some friends which was a very nice change of pace). I'm such a nerd, but I love getting to cross off the day after I complete it!

Today we will be doing run 14, walk 1, run 14. Actually we did that yesterday as well so I know I can do it! I like doing the gradual increase of running time and still having my one little minute to recover in the middle. I think it's mostly a mental thing!
What I love about running:
- Being outside
- Being with Brad
- Cute running outfits (got a new one this week!)
- Seeing improvements
- Sleeping better at night (big deal for me)
- Being excited about an upcoming race
- MOST OF ALL - accomplishing something that is really hard for me and crossing off that I did it!
What I hate about running:
- Pain
- Feeling like I might throw up (hasn't happened too many times this year though! Yey!)
- Not being able to breathe (getting much better)
- Side stitches (they make me so mad!)
Hmmm...is it really worth it? Guess it must be because I keep going out and doing it again!

0 comments:
Post a Comment