Thursday, June 21, 2012

These Summer Days

Sometimes I am astonished how good life is right now.  I wonder if I appreciate it even more because for so long, it wasn't.  Either way, it is pretty amazingly good.  Things have slowed down in a way because all of our scheduled activities (Mom's groups, playgroup, speech therapy...) have stopped for the summer.  But we still find lots to do to fill the days, often spending much of the day outside (well, except for this week which has been insanely hot!).

This weekend Brad and I were able to take an overnight trip with the boys to my parent's cottage.  We had only taken one other overnight trip with the boys, and it was a disaster, so I set my expectations low this time :)

I must admit I was pretty shocked with what a great time we had!  No meltdowns, good sleep at night, a nap during the day, happy boys, long walks...beautiful memories.


One of my favorite memories was taking the boys on their first boat ride.  I didn't take the camera with  us on the boat because, well, if you've ever met Nathan you know why :)  The boys absolutely loved the boat ride...Matthew was speechless (and if you know Matthew, you know how crazy this is!!!)


We snacked and played games and did nothing at all.  It was wonderful!



The boys had not been getting along very well last week but our little getaway seemed to really help their brotherly bond.  Things have really turned around and they are two peas in a pod this week :)




It's so funny how you never know what will make a kid laugh.  I started playing a game with Matthew where I would draw something on this board and say, "Matthew can you guess...." and he had to guess what I was drawing.  He would then show the picture to Brad and Nathan, who would pretend to scream in terror, and Matthew would just laugh and laugh until he couldn't breathe!  It was so funny.  Matthew and Nathan played it by themselves for quite a while as well!


I'm so thankful for this time with my family.  Everyone says these days pass by so quickly, and although there was a time not too long ago when I would have responded, "Not quickly enough!" I am now finding myself wanting to soak up every moment with my guys while they are so little. 



Life is good.  So, so good.

1 comments:

Stacy said...

So happy to read this post!! Enjoy every second of it because it passes all too quickly! Close your eyes and breathe it in! Memorize the smells and the sounds so you can recapture the moment!