Busy days.
Trying days.
Challenging days.
Fun days.
Yes, all of the above.
I must admit that this last week has been a difficult one, and I didn't really expect it. Getting a hearing aid for Nathan was wonderful, amazing, exciting...and for him, a scary, overwhelming, huge change. He started wearing it immediately when we got home and did not try to take it off. I was so happy about this - I was prepared for it to be a battle. What I wasn't prepared for was the way Nathan reacted to being able to hear. He got quiet, silent actually, when he is normally very loud. His wonderful sleeping habits went down the toilet and he spent hours screaming in the middle of the night. We went from having him sleeping soundly in the crib and waking only once for a few minutes to having him back in our bed because it was the only way he could be consoled. In the daytime, he became angry, aggressive, unhappy...it was reminiscent of our first days at home. It caught me by surprise and to be honest it has been very discouraging to have to work through all of this again.
And yet...I understand it. When I think about it, it makes sense. He is overwhelmed, and this is how he reacts when he's overwhelmed by big changes. At least we know that much about him now! And thankfully, this time we are able to be a comfort to him through this time. His head hits my pillow, and he is out for the night!
We have seen glimpses of the happy boy we were beginning to see a week ago and it makes my heart so happy to see him smiling again. He has been through so much in the last couple of months and I see such a strong spirit in him.
He's been having fun with brother...
And we went to the fair and saw tons of animals (the boys loved them all!). Matthew had lots of fun walking around with Grandma and Grandpa :)
It is crazy to think that just two short years ago we were at the fair and my heart was aching because my arms were still empty...and this year my heart was so full as I looked at my two boys in amazement! Every once in a while it still catches me off guard and I think, woah, how did this happen?!?!
Last week we headed to the eye doctor. The good news is that Nathan will not be having eye surgery any time soon :) Maybe down the road, but we'll just handle that when (if) it comes. For now, we will be working on strengthening his right eye by patching his left eye for 2-4 hours a day. It's a pretty common thing that many kids have to go through and so far he has done great with wearing the patch. He has worn it for 2 hours every day so far with no fuss. He continues to amaze me :)

1 comments:
Love you, friend! Love those boys. Have been thinking about you guys so very often through out my week. I have a book I want you to have. Hope to see you Wednesday!!!
Post a Comment