Friday, October 09, 2015

Lame Blogger Award...

There's probably no one out there reading...well, maybe my mom :)  I know I totally get the "Lame Blogger Award" for my lack of posting.  I'm feeling the urge to write and document again so I may be back a little more often.  Life is so full that all my good intentions seemed to get swallowed up in...life!  I'm not going to lie, four littles keeps me pretty busy these days.  It has taken me quite a while to get adjusted to the pace of life and the whole not-having-a-free-moment thing but I am at last feeling like I have my head above water (some of the time) and I am finding some free time (here and there).  

I smile just looking at this picture - can't believe I get to be mom to all of them!  Super fun.  Super exhausting!  Wouldn't trade it for anything.


We have purposefully chosen to have a quieter life right now.  We did not sign up for any of the very good activities we wanted to do this fall (piano lessons, soccer, other things for the kids) and I feel so glad about that choice.  We have spent a ton of time walking in the woods, hanging out in the backyard, reading books...I feel like the days are busy but we have also carved out some much-needed down time with these activities.  There will be time for the other activities down the road, but for now we choose slow.


One of the bonuses (and the challenges) of choosing a slower pace is lots of time together.  Siblings are learning how to share, to think of each other, to play together.  It's good and it's hard.  One in particular has had a hard time with the transition of a new little sibling.  I think my least favorite part of parenting is dealing with sibling fighting (my mom is snickering now because she can totally relate thanks to me and my younger sister!).  


It really feels like Olivia has always been part of us.  When I see pictures of us with three kids now...it's strange!  She has fit so perfectly into our family and I'm amazed with her pretty much every day.


One of my favorite memories from the summer - looking out the kitchen window and seeing these four playing on the swing set.  I remember one day looking out and seeing Livvy chatting away to Matthew and it just struck me: "She is one of us.  She belongs."


There are moments of frustration dealing with sibling issues but there are also so many sweet moments.  I can't imagine these kiddos without each other!  Matthew particularly has a soft spot for Olivia.  He is so gentle with her and takes such good care of her.  The other day I looked outside and the kids were running around laughing.  Olivia tripped and fell, and as I watched all three of the other kids ran up to her, helped her up, asked her if she was okay, brushed her off and then ran off again together.  It brought a smile to my face to see the care they have for each other.



Some days I look at this little girl and feel as though I might burst.  I was pretty terrified of adding another one to the family.  I was scared about her medical needs, scared that she was 2.5 years old and terrified of strangers, scared about the workload.  But every single day I kiss those cheeks and see that smile and REJOICE that we said yes!  She is such a gift and I know just how blessed I am.

2 comments:

Aunt April said...

I am reading and enjoy hearing of your happy family. You guys are doing great.

Yvonne said...

I'm still reading :) and I love seeing your full couch, the busy swingset, and can totally relate about the sibling fights. They drive me bananas! But choosing slow - yes, yes, and yes. Time together to be outside, to savor, to get to know each other - perfect.